Lots Of Dead Bees On Floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mersea Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 Brought on Sunday 6th June 2010 & Now Have 9 Hives
During The snow in Late December i noticed a lot of dead bees in front of one hive i thought this was due to the cold.
So i have fed them with fondant since jan and they have taken about 3kg of it.
Today in replacing the floor it was heaped up with dead bees all over so i lifted the lid to have a look there still seems a good amount of bees there is 3 frames of brood. there is also plenty of honey and pollen but on the outer side frames two of them from each side ther is dead bees which are head first in the empty Comb is this normal is there any thing i should be doing?

Many Thanks

Stuart

Bees head first in comb is usually a sign of starvation. Perhaps part of the cluster got separated?

Or perhaps you were just in time with the fondant

agree, the cold December we had used up a lot of stores, i put on fondant early this year in early December because the long range forecast, was for the coldest december for 100 years

dont just do thing by dates, There is a post on the forum that OSR is flowering in Devon, all the books will say it flowers early May

"There is a post on the forum that OSR is flowering in Devon"

lot's of funny goings on in Devon judging by posts from our regulars there!

Back