Looking forward .....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roybaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
This is my 1st year bee keeping. I have 1 strong colony made up of 1 deep brood and 2 supers (1 ready for harvest). Looking forward, should I be working towards having 2 deep broods which are left for the bees and not harvested? If so, Should there be a queen excluder between the 2.
A New Bee

This is my 1st year bee keeping. I have 1 strong colony made up of 1 deep brood and 2 supers (1 ready for harvest). Looking forward, should I be working towards having 2 deep broods which are left for the bees and not harvested? If so, Should there be a queen excluder between the 2.
A New Bee

Regarding the queen excluder, some use them and some don't. It goes between the brood box(es) and the supers. If it was put between 2 brood boxes the top brood box becomes a super, because the queen can't get there. Many people use shallow boxes as supers (easier to lift when full of honey) but you can do what you want.

Regarding stores for winter, I don't think you need another deep box just for that. If your 1st brood box starts to get full & there is not much room for the queen to lay eggs then you can add another brood box. If that isn't happening you can stick to one brood box and if stores are low in august/Sept you can feed 2:1 syrup until they have enough. In autumn the amount of brood shrinks leaving space for stores on the edges. Alternatively you could leave a partially filled super.

Books, read, beginner’s courses lots of things out there. I really do think some people just wake up one morning and have what they feel is a great idea of becoming a beekeeper. They then go out and buy hives and bees before even thinking about a book.:willy_nilly:

Back