Local labels on many foods are false, study suggests

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Almost a fifth of foods labelled "local" in England and Wales are making the claim falsely, a study suggests.
Local Government Regulation inspectors tested 558 items in 300 shops, restaurants, markets and factories.
They found misleading labels including "Welsh lamb" which actually came from New Zealand, "Somerset butter" from Scotland and "Devon ham" from Denmark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12582056

There's some pretty poor legislation in this area- you can bring produce in, reprocess or even re-package it, and it counts as local. :banghead:

There's some pretty poor legislation in this area- you can bring produce in, reprocess or even re-package it, and it counts as local. :banghead:

I think this often happens in the uk with Pork.

Bred and slaughted in Holland,processed and packed in the uk.

Product of uk on label.

I always look for the tractor mark,not just the union jack.

As I found when talking to an agricultural feed rep, they are allowed to call any substance "natural", even if it is chemically synthesised if it also occurs in nature....
And the present government are at present weaselling legislation to label new homes as "zero carbon" when they are MILES from it! (I've tried working out how you could make a truly zero carbon dwelling, and have given up - it just ain't possible!).
All designed to obfuscate and deceive - just wait till the GM frankencrappers hit their stride later in the year and there'll be bucketloads more..............

what would be a good area to be covered by "local"

3 mile radius or 30 mile radius

My honey is "West Midlands" Honey, Some of it meaning West Midlands County (as was) and some is West Midlands Region.

Given that I will be selling within the county, I shan't be explaining or arguing the finer point.

Check the difference on Google.

My honey is "West Midlands" Honey, Some of it meaning West Midlands County (as was) and some is West Midlands Region.

Given that I will be selling within the county, I shan't be explaining or arguing the finer point.

Check the difference on Google.
Mine is sold as Lancashire Honey .
I was born in the County Palatine of Lancaster as were my children!

The powers that be tell me I'm in Greater Manchester !! I can't remember any seismic catastrophe shifting Wigan into Manchester . We were enemies in the civil war for gods' sake ( there's a pun in there somewhere ?)
The Loyal Toast in this Area is still "THE QUEEN,THE DUKE OF LANCASTER"

John Wilkinson

I think this often happens in the uk with Pork.

Also happens with honey I have been told by one local retailer who won't source one supplier any more. TS on that case I was told. Nasty stuff going on but then there's always somebody after fleecing Joe Soap if they can get away with it and it has never been any different - viz quack doctors.

Back