Live and kicking bee ~ bole

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am into keeping bees in a more responsible fashion and not as some part of some or other stunt.

Why would you want to?

Experimental archaeology.......... maybe not an experiment to attempt!

Best left with bear bateing, cock fighting, caponising chickens and docking dogs tails.... along with badger baiting and fox hunting with hounds, otter hunting, fishing with barbed hooks and probably a host of other cruel things to do to animals that should be firmly left in the past!

:beatdeadhorse5:

My bees are all very happy in their cosy WBC's hives and the ones in Nationals are very happy too..................
and there they shall stay, so don't worry about me pulling any skeps / bee ~ bole stunts!

Last edited:
colonies in skeps are good for swarm generation, over a mash floor, can be treated with OA

In the US it is illegal to keep bees permanently in skeps...

And yes, I do know that we are in the UK.

Ben P

Bole usage

When I started keeping bees it was an intention to keep some skeps in the bee boles in my the garden. However, the more I researched it, given the difficulty of IPM and the traditional methods of honey harvest I have pretty much decided against that idea. But have discovered that they are the perfect size to hold a nuc, so they will be used for bees just not in the way they were intended.

Latest posts

Back