Little pink spiders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angiey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Treated with beevital 6 days ago and when checking for varroa on pull out tray discovered loads of little pink spiders on the board that were moving at great speed. Does anyone know what they are??

glad someone's asked this, as i've started noticing them!

I always get red spider mite on my Aubergine plant leaves - they're much smaller and slower than these.

Yes. They are pink in colour and can move from one side of the board to the other in a matter of seconds,

Yes, I believe they come out in particularly dry conditions as we have generally had over the last weeks (until this week)

Try googling braula coeca (bee louse) and see if yours look the same.

DDD

I have Googled the image and checked back and the op pic looks like they only have 6 legs so could be in the running for id.

ZZ

Deeper, second thoughts, maybe! I'll catch one for a closer look

Last edited:
found one on the v board today, the same size as your photo but under a lens it clearly had a pair of antenna which eliminates Braula....obviously no one else is much interested!

Yes Richardbees. Next time I am out I will get the magnifying glass on mine but I am sure there is antennae on mine as well. After about three days the board on my OMF was pretty well evenly covered with them so I dont think they can be getting back up into the BBox. There seemed to be an increase in numbers every day suggesting they were stuck there and more were dropping off every day. I might be wrong.

Did you ever id these mites? I found the same on my varroa flor today. Lots of them!

Disagree. Looks more like a tick/mite than an aphid. Body shape is wrong for aphid.

Fingers crossed for a new predatory mite of varroa........
was there a mite drop?

pseudoscorpions by any chance ?

Latest posts

Back