Like a virgin??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loubylou

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still my ongoing queen- problem with a new question........
My local beek has advised me that if my one and only hive holds a new queen, poss a virgin, that she will probably fly and mate in the spring, however, he says that if she is not successful he will kindly provide me with a frame of brood/eggs. Is he right and also is it possible to introduce a frame in the spring to produce a queen??

There is only a short period when the queen is able to mate. I know this from experience as this summer was so wet my new queen was unable to get mated properly. When the weather dried up it was too late for her. she had to be culled. The books will also confirm this.

If your friend has different information I would like to know where from. I would like to read about this as my queen could not even wait a week.

On the other hand if it is possible for Q- bees to surive through the winter they could probably work with some eggs as a last resort. Without a queen they could get quite nasty though. Look forward to comments from more experienced beeks.

It better to bye a queen. At least try. Or bye a nuc in spring.
When you join it to your present hive, you get a good colony.

If a queen is not mated she will go stale and will never get mated, queens raise brood all through the winter decreasing towards Christmas and then increasing again enameling the colony population to remain constant and not perish

If your hive holds an unmated queen the chances now to mate will be very slim and highly unlikely. A new queen has only 30 to 40 days from emergence to mate after which time the spermatheca goes hard and will no longer allow mating. Assuming you were given a frame of eggs in March the earliest that you are likely to have a laying queen assuming that there are enough drones available is likely to be May. Your winter bees will have long expired by then and be long past nursing duties. It is too late now to introduce new queen. Keep your fingers crossed that colony has mated queen as there is nothing you can do now except hope.

I really don’t know why people are bothering to reply now. You have been given good solid advice from very knowledgeable beekeepers on the forum but you still have not sorted things. I expect your friend has kept bees for what two years?:beatdeadhorse5::hairpull:

Sorry, the reason this has dragged on is because I have had so much contradictory advice I wanted to be absolutely sure that i have got things right as I only have one colony. I am new to this, nervous and feel a great responsibility to look after my bees in the best possible way, please don't be grumpy with me! :(

However, the forum has been very useful, I have learnt a lot and I thank you for all your time and energies.

I will pass your info onto my bee pal........in the nicest way!

Most on this forum have said requeen but you have ignored that advice over your so called "SAGE". As you say you only have on colony which may be part to blame for your downfall and and eventual loss of your bees. Its also my first season and through being very pro active and learning from advice given I have had a great season though only. a few jars of honey and am starting winter with three very strong colonies. I may be wrong and will be corrected but I feel your colony will start the new season with drone laying queen then die out as you do not have another colony to unite to. I hope next time you run into difficulties with your new colony if you decide to get one you will heed advice as I feel people have wasted there time trying to advise you.

As a general rule of beekeeping, if you have 'b' beekepers and 'q' questions you'll get 'a' answers, where

a = ((b+1)*q) ! (Where b>0 and q>=0)

Beekeping is sometimes not prescriptive, you have to make a decision and go for it. Sometimes you'll make mistakes or things wont work out as planned, but you'll learn through experience.

Bobster

As a general rule of beekeeping, if you have 'b' beekepers and 'q' questions you'll get 'a' answers, where

Beekeping is sometimes not prescriptive, you have to make a decision and go for it. Sometimes you'll make mistakes or things wont work out as planned, but you'll learn through experience.

Bobster

Great reply........it is easy to ask a question but try and wait for the answer you want! Don't think we are getting at you.....keep smiling and asking but be prepared to accept answers that you may not want to hear....cheers
E

Don't be disheartened, Loubylou, as you gain experience you'll know what is good advice, read up over winter, and then next year you'll have more confidence to choose for yourself. :)

Bobster

But if you do nothing you will kill your bees. If it was cattle or say dogs you would have to do something if not you would land yourself in all sorts of trouble with the law but because we are only talking about insects here you can get away with leaving them to their peril

I think the poster understands now outlander......give them a break!

Don't be disheartened, Loubylou, as you gain experience you'll know what is good advice, read up over winter, and then next year you'll have more confidence to choose for yourself. :)

Im sorry and I don't want to upset Louby but if she will not listen and take advice from people on this forum, some who have been keeping bees for years and some that do it for a living what makes you think she will take it from a book. I think myself if she would not pay out for a new queen she certainly will no:rant:t use her money on a book especially one that may contain u:bump:seful information on how to look after your bees

I think the poster understands now outlander......give them a break!

Well said Enrico.

Hi Loubylou. I feel you have been roughly treated. Chin up!
I would be concerned about the knowledge level of your informant as it is pretty much standard stuff in beeky books to read that the queen only has a short time period for mating but if you don't know this, then you would ask the question.

Perhaps some light reading over the cold winter nights would be in order?

Cazza

Sorry, the reason this has dragged on is because I have had so much contradictory advice I wanted to be absolutely sure that i have got things right as I only have one colony. I am new to this, nervous and feel a great responsibility to look after my bees in the best possible way, please don't be grumpy with me! :(

However, the forum has been very useful, I have learnt a lot and I thank you for all your time and energies.

I will pass your info onto my bee pal........in the nicest way!

christmas is coming ask Father Christmas :xmas-smiley-016: for some reading material to help you may i sugest you try GUIDE TO BEES & HONEY. by TED HOOPER MBE or BEEKEEPING for DUMMIES i got this one for my birthday both exalant books and full of good infomation. you may wish to lend them to your beekeeping pal, good luck with your new bees next year

m

Ok rant over... Louby sorry don't want to upset ypubut just feel you. didn't. do enough with this situation.. as stated read over winter and also get yourself on a good course.

Outlander, the reason i didnt do 'enough' as you say is because one minute i was advised it was too late to requeen and the next that i should hurry up and get on with it. This opposing advice went on and on, I was even PM'd with a new q for sale last week, to be posted this monday, TOO late methinks.

So I will learn to take forum advice, digest opposing views and hopefully one day be able, with confidence, make my own decisions accordingly. Meanwhile Outlander please try not to be so aggressive with your response, it is most discouraging and disheartening for a new beekeeper.

Latest posts

Back