Lesson learnt the hard way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alynewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Over winter I kept a spare brood box with drawn frames in my garage. Just stood it in a corner, no mouse guard on it - was planning to clean it all out but didn't get around to it. Imagine how cross with myself I am now.

Night before last I heard scratchings in my loft.

Looked in the garage and the hive is decimated inside. All that is left is bare frames and a big pile of stinking mouse droppings. And now I've got mice in my loft.

Got the mouse man in.

How do other people store their hives over winter?

I store any spare equipment in a pile, with a solid piece of wood at the bottom, and another solid piece at the top. no gaps for anything to get in.

In a pile in the garage with newspaper between each box. If there are stores I tend to put them in bin liners and seal with tape

I stack the supers on a floor with the entrance blocked off and the tray in;crownboard on top,brick on roof,outside in the porch. Some frames are wet, some dry, some are capped stores in brood frames; all OK so far.

Mine are in the cellar, sealed in plastic bags - but we have cats, so not much chance of mouse damage.

Thanks to all - big lesson learned for next year.

I've got a cat! Great big useless article she is too (but I love her!)

Mickies

Same as wid wet supers, wrap in binliners and make sure if in garage you have plenty of humane mouse traps. But don't forget a mouse can find its way home up to a 1/4 mile away, so take away in car for the ride of its life!
Bob.

Same as wid wet supers, wrap in binliners and make sure if in garage you have plenty of humane mouse traps. But don't forget a mouse can find its way home up to a 1/4 mile away, so take away in car for the ride of its life!
Bob.

I believe it is illegal to release vermin into the wild.

I think they are already in the wild, just moving them about!

I think they are already in the wild, just moving them about!

I think madasafish is correct!
Grey squirrels are classified as vermin, trapping has to be followed by culling , to release them is to commit an offence !
VM

I think madasafish is correct!
Grey squirrels are classified as vermin, trapping has to be followed by culling , to release them is to commit an offence !
VM

:iagree:
same with any vermin species : once you trap em - got to kill them

Just read: http://www.ufaw.org.uk/documents/GuidanceonhumanecontrolofrodentsFeb2509V19.pdf

!
I was wrong. Apologies.

Mice can be released into wild..

I quote:

Currently
(June 2008), the black rat (Rattus rattus), the fat/edible dormouse (Glis glis), the grey
squirrel (Sciureus carolinensis) and the Mongolian gerbil (Meriones unguiculatus) are
listed on Part 1 of Schedule 9 and therefore cannot be released, except under licence

Last edited:
I store any spare equipment in a pile, with a solid piece of wood at the bottom, and another solid piece at the top. no gaps for anything to get in.

Ditto.

But we have mice and rats get into the house anyhow. Joys of country living. Mouse man? Nah....uber bait.

Latest posts

Back