Learning from mistakes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha, think we've all done the feeder thing...I certainly have!! You'd have thought these things would come with instructions...

Had to have a chuckle at Naked, poor thing!

Ha ha, think we've all done the feeder thing...I certainly have!! You'd have thought these things would come with instructions...

Had to have a chuckle at Naked, poor thing!

I have made some of THE biggest mistakes ever in the world of beekeeping!
If only people knew what went on down here!
All the hive moving happened in pitch black as well at gone midnight....I will never forget that night...we had to traverse through someone's garden, before we even got up the slope and then over the stile and over the barbed wire....the other side of the barbed wire was sloped downwards, I couldn't lean back as there were spikes and I couldn't lean forward as I was on a wet slippy slope covered in ground ivy and in my hands were some 20,000 bees!!:(:ack2:

As a first year beek, I suppose I could say that my biggest mistake was taking up what I thought woud be a relaxing hobby! But I guess that like everyone else, it is too late for me now.

So the real mistake was when putting a swarm into a new hive. I had cunning calculated that by adding a super without frames to the brood box, I would be able more easily to shake the little ladies out without serious risk to Her Majesty - and into the bargain, I would have space to add a feeder in a day or two. I forgot that bees like to rise to the dizziest heights possible. Two days later, I had to scrape them off the inside of the roof, and insist that they begin drawn the foundation in the brood box!

:banghead::banghead:

This spring I put a super ontop of the brood box but put the QE above the super.

24 hours later I was going through another hive when I noticed the mistake.

To late HM was well away laying up the super as it was already drawn from the year before.

p.s a brood and a half is a pain to work ;)

there were a couple of 'brood and a half' hives at my local colege apiary when I took my 2 courses, and they seemed so much hassle that I started off with a couple of 'commercial' hives.

...we've had a couple of colonies on a brood and a half - it really does make for hard work!!! Good to have had the experience though....

...oh, and one of the mistakes Ive made this year (last year doesnt count, it was full of mistakes! BUT, thats how you learn....!!!) is tripping up over a foot, dropping the frame of bees in my hand onto the other hand, and thus upsetting the girls. Got stung too, and it was all my fault :(
Lesson to be learnt? Always make sure theres enough room for moving around the hives in your apiary...

Latest posts

Back