Learning before jumping in.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Fletcher

New Bee
Reaction score
Good day!

I'm looking to start next April (gives me time to read and absorb as well as being a good time for the bees as I understand it.

How would I find my local race (Suffolk) and where would I accuire a nuc from if it's possible?

(I've decided to have a mid life crisis in my late 40's and keep bees 🙂)

My MLC started in my twenties and hasn't eased up yet.
I'd get some practical experience in asap as the latter half of the season isn't quite as steep.
Supplement your practical experience with the theory not the other way round.
Good call, I've managed a few sessions with the local group, I've just moved house which has slowed the practical experience down a bit but I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Good day!

I'm looking to start next April (gives me time to read and absorb as well as being a good time for the bees as I understand it.

How would I find my local race (Suffolk) and where would I accuire a nuc from if it's possible?

(I've decided to have a mid life crisis in my late 40's and keep bees 🙂)
First of all see if you can get hands on experience with someone local. It's not for everyone. Where are you based?

First of all see if you can get hands on experience with someone local. It's not for everyone. Where are you based?
I had a little time with the local club before I moved, we are now near Woodbridge in Suffolk

Hi Adam, sadly it seems you have just missed the Suffolk Show on 2 June, where your local BKA had a stall. Your nearest association is Ipswich and East Suffolk Log into Facebook and they appear to have a thriving, active membership. Maybe start there and see where you go. Good luck, it's very addictive!

Welcome
Suffolk Beekeepers will give you a warm welcome and good instruction and mentoring.
There are very well attended meetings in Kesgrave and also Kirton, and a training apiary at Wherstead.
Details on the website.
https://www.suffolkbeekeepers.co.uk/I’m about 10 miles away from Woodbridge, with quite a few more local to you.
Do get in touch now, then you can see some hives of bees before next year, also book early for the winter beginners course.

Latest posts

Back