Lazy swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Shoot

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 Nationals 2 poly nuc, also looking after a poly hive.
Looked in hive 10 two weeks ago, queen hasn't been laying particularly well. Found one charged QC in the middle of a frame, just one, looked like they were superseding so left them to it.
A couple of days later I found a swarm on the side of hive 10.
Looked in all of my hives and hive 10 was the only one with a capped QC.
Seems they were not only lazy in producing only one QC, turns out they were also lazy by swarming all of a foot on to the side of their own hive. Bet they didn't even fly, probably just walked around the corner and sat there waiting for me to turn up and collect them in a different hive.
She is now laying, and a lot better than she was before she swarmed.

Looked in hive 10 two weeks ago, queen hasn't been laying particularly well. Found one charged QC in the middle of a frame, just one, looked like they were superseding so left them to it.
A couple of days later I found a swarm on the side of hive 10.
Looked in all of my hives and hive 10 was the only one with a capped QC.
Seems they were not only lazy in producing only one QC, turns out they were also lazy by swarming all of a foot on to the side of their own hive. Bet they didn't even fly, probably just walked around the corner and sat there waiting for me to turn up and collect them in a different hive.
She is now laying, and a lot better than she was before she swarmed.

Now these are the sort of bees you want .. convenient swarm bees ... if you could just train them to walk into a new hive placed next to their old one think how easy beekeeping would become !! Stick a flow hive on the top and you have almost automatic beekeeping ... I wish !

are you sure they were from hive 10 and not just a swarm from elsewhere? Picked up a prime swarm at the association apiary week before last hanging down under a nuc which just had a QC inside waiting emerging and mating.We're still not certain where it came from but has a lovely great big black queen in it.

Last edited:
Back