Laying workers or new queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Samsung s10 phone. It's great and really handy for just such an opportunity 😏
Well done. That’s a good snap. I wonder if I could use your post as a sticky to illustrate that laying workers get to the bottom of cells. You’d be amazed at the number of people who think they can’t

Well done. That’s a good snap. I wonder if I could use your post as a sticky to illustrate that laying workers get to the bottom of cells. You’d be amazed at the number of people who think they can’t
Absolutely. I didn't think they could either 😕

I've just had exactly the same thing with a swarm rescued from a hedge, first inspection found laying workers caught in the act! There were 8 or so on this frame, all sitting around up to their armpits as if they were in the hot tub at a spa day. Some of the eggs, as with yours, beautifully laid as single eggs in the bottom of the cell 😏
So odd isn't it?? I wonder why they started laying so quickly! Gorgeous photo 😊

So odd isn't it?? I wonder why they started laying so quickly! Gorgeous photo 😊
I have a sneaking suspicion that what I collected wasn't actually a swarm but may have been the remnants of another Beekeeper's laying workers colony which had been shaken out. It was a small cluster of bees, they didn't really go into the collection box as I would have expected a swarm with a queen to, they initially went in but then kind of spilled out again and stayed on the outside, but didn't go back to the cluster site. I wrapped them very carefully (loosely)in the sheet I had laid out for the purposes. In hindsight it would help to explain the quick onset of laying workers? I can't help chuckling at the concept of beekeepers finding laying workers, shaking them out, another beekeeper later collecting the "swarm", finding laying workers, shaking them out... 😳

I have a sneaking suspicion that what I collected wasn't actually a swarm but may have been the remnants of another Beekeeper's laying workers colony which had been shaken out. It was a small cluster of bees, they didn't really go into the collection box as I would have expected a swarm with a queen to, they initially went in but then kind of spilled out again and stayed on the outside, but didn't go back to the cluster site. I wrapped them very carefully (loosely)in the sheet I had laid out for the purposes. In hindsight it would help to explain the quick onset of laying workers? I can't help chuckling at the concept of beekeepers finding laying workers, shaking them out, another beekeeper later collecting the "swarm", finding laying workers, shaking them out... 😳
Well usually a thinking beekeeper would just shake the bees out in the proximity of other hives and they would just beg their way in to whatever hive will let them. Unfortunately there is that subset of beekeepers, firmly confident in the stuff they were 'taught' by the usual suspects who are under the misconception that only a small number of bees in the failed colony are layers and that they cannot fly!! so they follow the 'advice' they were taught and move the doomed colony far away from its original site (sometimes miles), dump the bees out there, confidently convinced that the non layers will fly all the way back to the apiary and that the few laying workers will just sit there in the grass and perish, when what actually happens is they all mill around wondering what on earth has happened!!

Reactions: Kaz
Update: For all of you who knew from day one that these were laying workers, well done! Unfortunately there is no shadow of a doubt.

Does anyone know if this (attached) is evidence of too little workers, that can't keep up with house keeping or if something more sinister is going on? Found a couple of cells like it.

Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_20210716_193516.jpg
    IMG_20210716_193516.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 72
Update: For all of you who knew from day one that these were laying workers, well done! Unfortunately there is no shadow of a doubt.

Does anyone know if this (attached) is evidence of too little workers, that can't keep up with house keeping or if something more sinister is going on? Found a couple of cells like it.

Thanks all

I have concerns.

Did you give them a stir with a matchstick or similar?

It's probably nothing, but I'd get familiar with how european foul brood looks via Google and go back for another look just in case

Someone more experienced may be able to rule this out on sight

Matchstick test doesn't work with EFB, but I must say there are a few cells there which don't look quite right to me, and nowhere near that red circle either.
I'd give your SBI a ring just to make sure

Matchstick test doesn't work with EFB, but I must say there are a few cells there which don't look quite right to me, and nowhere near that red circle either.
I'd give your SBI a ring just to make sure
As rd these a trick of the light or is something else going on?

Attachments

• 3A25CDE6-F3AB-4917-BDC2-2758F4AD08C7.png
    3A25CDE6-F3AB-4917-BDC2-2758F4AD08C7.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 541572CD-DBC5-441C-969B-D5BBB9DE5548.png
    541572CD-DBC5-441C-969B-D5BBB9DE5548.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 33
There are one or two cells that look like the larvae have melted
Well that’s what I’m looking for given the direction of this conversation - but I’m not seeing it - where?
Dani - why is your second photo not pollen of a whitish kind?
Enquiring mind keen to learn.
BIAB

Thank you all for your replies. I will contact an SBI tomorrow and head back to the hive to toothpick test.

Latest posts

Back