Latest time to buy bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
start beekeeping now rather than later - but would like to understand all pros and cons
As Sutty said earlier, you won't learn without bees, but first, have you done a beginner course, read a book, or have prior knowledge?

I have had beginners arrive to collect a nuc without any of that experience, yet were able to bring their bees through winter and make honey the next year. Such success depends very much on your character - are you practical, do you observe and respond, do you learn quickly?

I very much hope so!)

Just to summarize, I put below few points (as I understand it now):

Positive side:
- valuable practical experience;
-overwintered colony is stronger;
-if all goes well - forage/ honey next spring.

Risks/ support needed:
- risks of a queen loss/ damage and a colony loss, needs gentle careful handling;
- weak bee family may not survive the winter;
-needs support and feeding through the winter;
- varroa treatment in autumn.

PS Actually, just finishing the on-line course, which I found quite nice and detailed (free!):
Home Beekeeping Course (Arkansas Division of Agriculture) -

Whereabouts are you?
Arkansas USA?
Oxford UK?
ah, I am in Oxford, but still found useful to see these videos) also listening lectures by National Honey Show & BIBBA.. while in anticipation for a full beek winter course in Woodstock)

ah, I am in Oxford, but still found useful to see these videos) also listening lectures by National Honey Show & BIBBA.. while in anticipation for a full beek winter course in Woodstock)
Yulia, Patience in beekeeping as in many things is a virtue. I feel that buying bees now will teach you little but waiting until next sprig and buying then will let your knowledge grow with the bees. Looking at a hive in an apiary in the autumn, not inspecting, no bees to be seen for a few months will not increase your knowledge. So just wait until spring, keep reading and from April onwards with a colony to inspect you will learn so much more. Like all of us here mistakes will occur, but you and the bees will be better placed in spring and summer to deal with them. Be warned - there is more to beekeeping than harvesting honey. Patience.................. you will need all you can get!!

Be aware
US and UK beekeeping are comparable to US and UK spelling: totally different and almost incomprehensible at times.

Hi all,
Asking kindly for an advise please - there is an opportunity to buy a NUC (6 or 12 frames) now and there is a ready hive, and we would like to understand the risks for bees associated with this late start in Aug. Of course it is understood that the spring is better , however we worried that the circumstances may change in half a year and we wont have this opportunity again, thus would love to start beekeeping now rather than later - but would like to understand all pros and cons, located in the UK. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Many thanks in advance.
Patience is a virtue.
Do the full course , then get bees in the spring.
You may be lucky enough to get a swarm for free then.
If you get them now you will quite literally be floundering in the dark in a couple of months.
It will just be luck if they survive the winter with your lack of knowledge and experience.
Just do the course first !!!!

In the old days my grandfather and many of his generation would have recommended buying bees at the end of the summer (when they were cheaper) and their advice would have been spot on for the times but they weren't advising beginners in a time of varroa. This is the one potential issue I can see but like all things research and well placed questions can help no end. Bought now you have a few good weeks worth of inspections to get comfortable with handling them which *will* benefit you in the spring even if you need to use the dead colony as a bait hive ( but chances are that they'll be fine).

Last edited:
..need bees and a brave heart!
I was reading about beekeeping for the last 2 months, watching videos, done 1-day training course, signed in with local beek association and planning to attend a proper course this winter, and now when the opportunity came - I feel very excited though trying to understand the rationale/ risks behind,
thanks Sutty for your comment,
Of course, we may make lots of mistakes but there still will be more what we have learnt.. I hope :)
I'd recommend putting your name down for an overwintered nuc from one of the big suppliers. There will be plenty available if you put your name down in the early autumn. That way you can get cracking next season with all winter to hone your knowledge. I'd suggest finding someone who will let you tag along over the summer so you can get more of a feel for it too.

P.S. IMO you have an excellent attitude which is likely to serve you very well as a beekeeper.

I'd recommend putting your name down for an overwintered nuc from one of the big suppliers
Which will lock you into treating for varroa.

Personally I'd go for the local nuc now. It'll give you quite a few months of watching bees and there is lots to be learnt (and a lot of pleasure) by just doing that. Such a lot of fuss and nonsense spoken on here whenever somebody shows an interest in starting beekeeping. It is not rocket science.

There are only three hard things in beekeeping: 1. lighting the smoker; 2. Overcoming the fear of putting your hand in a box full of bees; 3. Physically lifting heavy boxes.

Put some thought into 3, don't be a lemming and buy what everybody else uses. 1 can be easily overcome with a heat gun/torch. 2 is far easier with a nuc.

..need bees and a brave heart!
I was reading about beekeeping for the last 2 months, watching videos, done 1-day training course, signed in with local beek association and planning to attend a proper course this winter, and now when the opportunity came - I feel very excited though trying to understand the rationale/ risks behind,
thanks Sutty for your comment,
Of course, we may make lots of mistakes but there still will be more what we have learnt.. I hope :)
Sorry to start with a negative but 1 day is NOT adequate training. This is a strange year and you MIGHT be successful in an immediate venture but waiting for spring is a much more sensible start. Is there a local competent beekeeper who would let you shadow them for the remainder of the season and mentor you in spring?

Sorry to start with a negative but 1 day is NOT adequate training. This is a strange year and you MIGHT be successful in an immediate venture but waiting for spring is a much more sensible start. Is there a local competent beekeeper who would let you shadow them for the remainder of the season and mentor you in spring?
actually I do have friends - a lovely family which has beehives for around 9 years now, their opinion is that while spring is the best option, however it is also quite possible to make a start now.. 🥹

actually I do have friends - a lovely family which has beehives for around 9 years now, their opinion is that while spring is the best option, however it is also quite possible to make a start now.. 🥹
I would agree! And if you have a good opportunity to acquire bees now I would do.
It's only the start of August, I would expect even a swarm to be able to build up for winter still (though I get flows quite late), let alone a good sized nuc.

Personally I'd go for the local nuc now. It'll give you quite a few months of watching bees and there is lots to be learnt (and a lot of pleasure) by just doing that. Such a lot of fuss and nonsense spoken on here whenever somebody shows an interest in starting beekeeping. It is not rocket science.

There are only three hard things in beekeeping: 1. lighting the smoker; 2. Overcoming the fear of putting your hand in a box full of bees; 3. Physically lifting heavy boxes.

Put some thought into 3, don't be a lemming and buy what everybody else uses. 1 can be easily overcome with a heat gun/torch. 2 is far easier with a nuc.
I agree. I've found beekeeping and the knowledge gained, to be a collection of personal experiences, garnered over time.

Oh go for it. There's not much to do now anyway. Treat for varroa and make sure they have enough food.

4. Keeping the smoker alight until you’ve finished!

And join your local beekeeping association. You should make friends that could be around to mentor and help you over the autumn and more important next spring.

Latest posts

Back