Late swarming and the new queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Sep-21 emerged QCs seem not to have made a viable Q. Not certain but looks highly unlikely

How can you possibly be so sure, less than a fortnight after emergence?

"Not certain " is not "So sure". But the bees working on play cups was a big fat clue.

<ADD>The reason to inspect, before anyone jumps, is because they are going to need some sealed brood if they are indeed Q+</ADD>

Last edited:
On that scale my probability 'list' might go (from 'evens'): 'slightly unlikely', to 'unlikely', to 'quite unlikely', to 'highly unlikely'and then finally to 'certainly not'. 'So sure' was a relative term, not an absolute one.

Anyone desperately hoping to get a Q mated at this time of the year might have better luck if they happen to have a Q- colony around; turns out they are a haven for poor homeless drones. No they weren't born there.

Anyone desperately hoping to get a Q mated at this time of the year might have better luck if they happen to have a Q- colony around;

... and they get some good temperatures, maybe move the hive of bees to an out apiary in Greece for a while.

Whether or not anyone gets the answer is not the point. A more patronising, egotistical, holier-than-thou approach I have ever had the misfortune to find on a forum.

Here here....he is obviously a lonely sad man...

and besides, my colony did re-queen and she is laying. i checked this week. now all put to bed

Last edited:

Wrong, as usual.

If you can't get anything right on your own and are unable to think for yourself, the beginners forum might be a better, safer place for your type. Lots of non-thinkers over there.

and besides, my colony did re-queen and she is laying. i checked this week. now all put to bed

Kiss, marry, avoid. Ask Sue.

the man is quite laughable. Shame that with such knowledge a few must be such mean,cynical and rude taboot. Fortunately many others are not.

You are very fortunate to have them all to think for you. I really do have a laugh at your threads in the kindergarten section. One day you may be able to progress, perhaps...... No, maybe not.

... and they get some good temperatures, maybe move the hive of bees to an out apiary in Greece for a while.

Honeybee jiggy-jig weather is in my local forecast for the weekend.

My boys will be out and about because you just never know, right? It's like Amal Alamuddin; she's not LIKELY to dump George Clooney for me, but you never KNOW.

I need to decide what to do with this colony; all the bees are very old now and there must be some chance of LW so not much upside and a tiny risk in uniting. On the other hand, if they die out I will have worries about getting the comb back. Yet it would be interesting to see whether they could overwinter, especially with drones. I could tick them over with some sealed brood, but what would be the point, really. Decisions, decisions.

<ADD>By the way: and MM I imagine you saw this; fascinating article in BBKA News about "DCAs" and drones generally</ADD>

Last edited:
Shook out a drone layer yesterday.
To those criticising the OP, it's a good thread, this is a beekeeping forum, try some self awareness;)

Hi TTLTB,
Weather is going to be really nice Sunday, Monday according to Acuweather. I have got drones in three hives and no sign of them being turfed out yet. I would say that she is probably mated but not laying unless you know differently? I would have a quick peek Saturday, weather permitting, looking for eggs, brood, polished cells you know the drill. Perhaps put in a frame of brood in all stages to see if that stimulates some action. Did this myself a few weeks back plus stores on a frame and voila three frames of eggs from a hive that is constantly building supercedure cells with a laying queen. Looking forward to following the progress of this hive. My other three hives and nucs are behaving themselves.
If you leave the colony with a drone laying queen your comb will be ruined by spring and with no queen, laying workers will develop and they will dwindle and die before spring.
Bearing in mind the milder weather coming I would give them another week come Monday. You might be lucky!

I would give them another week come Monday. You might be lucky!

Thanks, @beeno. I am still basically in my first year and the products of my apiary so far are a fair amount of honey, some stinky beeswax, a scrap of propolis, one confirmed and very strong increase colony, two boxes of beautiful drawn unbrooded comb but most important a bit of learning.

As I have said, I wouldn't know a polished cell if I were locked in one (although some of the relevant comb does look a bit shiny). And I haven't even tried to eliminate the presence of a virgin queen because I could not reliably spot her. In thinking they are hopelessly Q- I have mainly relied on new play cups, which might not be conclusive. So I will learn more by just leaving them to get on with it than by giving up, which may be a mistake anyway. Worth a few frames of comb. The nuc where my retiring red queen is still going like the clappers can spare some bees or some brood, so I may consider a graft as you suggest or a location switch.

It's just so sad on flying days to see their few little faces at the entrance and the occasional flyer, with these helicopters on either side.

Last edited:
It's just so sad on flying days to see their few little faces at the entrance and the occasional flyer, with these helicopters on either side.

Hm, that does sound a bit desperate. Maybe too late to save in these circumstances. You win some, you lose some, but you have still done very well.

Latest posts

Back