Late swarm with small queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willardx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi. I collected a swarm last week. It covers 8 frames and the bees have an excellent temperament, amongst the calmest I've ever handled. There are no signs of brood yet and the queen appears very small, like a virgin. Do you think that this is secondary to pre swarm slimming down?if she is a virgin, what's the chances of getting mated properly this late in the year? IMG_20210831_190811852.jpg

It depends on whether there are any drones left, most of my hives booted them out weeks ago. If you have drones around the weather forecast is good enough, I have had queens mated in September that were fine.

I still have drones in one of mine and the weather looking ok, so I’d just let them get on with things.

Ditto with Poot. Still drones flying from some of my hives. Leave them alone to get themselves sorted (apart from treating and potentially feeding of course).

Some of mine still have drones and it's good mating weather at the moment. I've also reared a couple of really small queens this year as well but they're doing as well as the other nucs.

It is better to buy a mated queen. It takes at least 10 days time that Virginia starts to lay. Brooks cycle is 21 days.

Don't like the idea of buying queens in after reading /watching biba stuff recently.
I'd hazard a guess they are probably the result of someone's Buckfast queen or nuc anyway looking at those bees.
I would leave them to it myself.
My priority would be to isolate them and establish their health, there are a lot of K wings in that cluster.

And CBPV

But if they have K wing how did they fly there?
Normal bees can hold their wings out like that
I was just going to say that I often see bees holding wings in a " k" position and originally thought the worst but when I saw one land on a hive roof ,loaded with pollen ,separate its wings, had a breather and then fly home , I realised this can be normal behaviour but could find no mention of it in books or on Internet.

Latest posts

Back