Late Swarm to feed or not to feed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast_muchly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi ,
We had a small swarm move in on our baited brood box all the frames are drawn and healthy in this box .They covered 3 frames and they moved in around 14 days ago .I have just had a peek although not the best day i couldnt resist . Still on 3 frames poss 3 1/2 gone through all the frames and i have seen the queen although she was quite smallish it was deffo her . Actually found a few drones as well which surprised me thought they might be gone by now .

Found some sealed stores but not alot poss around 1/2 a frame and others full of nectar etc etc . Found plenty of single eggs there was no bias though , so look like i have just caught her at laying point which confirms she was most def a virgin .Bees remarkably calm to say the number of black clouds on the horizon .

I have gone and put some syrup on in a feeder only 1kg to 630mls water . Im thinking i have done the right thing as there is loads of space for laying and food in the brood box at the moment and i have another drawn super ready to pop on if and when needed which is perfectly healthy . My concern is trying to get these through the winter and what with the unsettled weather right now they need as much help as possible .

Have i done the right thing ? .

So, how much food is there in total at the moment? Hard to tell as you say 1/2 a frame of sealed stores and "others full of nectar" ?

Are all the frames drawn?

So, how much food is there in total at the moment? Hard to tell as you say 1/2 a frame of sealed stores and "others full of nectar" ?

Are all the frames drawn?
The op says the frames are drawn.

But I'm also interested to know how many frames have nectar.

Hi I would say maybe 1 frame hard to tell as it was a bit scattered poss 1/2 frame to 1 frame and 3 1/2 frames of bees max . Deffo no brood yet in all stages , just single eggs .They have certainly got at least 1/2 the brood box to go at on all drawn frames .

Hi I would say maybe 1 frame hard to tell as it was a bit scattered poss 1/2 frame to 1 frame and 3 1/2 frames of bees max . Deffo no brood yet in all stages , just single eggs .They have certainly got at least 1/2 the brood box to go at on all drawn frames .
I would feed them some syrup it will stimulate the queen to lay as you are doing if the forage around you is not that much, just keep an eye on them and dont over do it. Keep an eye on robbing wasps and bees.

I would feed, if they don’t need it now it will come in handy for the winter.
its amazing how quick swarms expand.

In my book a swarm covering 3 frames is small. I would be on the alert for wasps, especially if you do feed. Do not be too quick to add too much space, only adding it if and when they actually need it. You still have time for them to build. We still have a flow on here, so if here, I would not feed

In my book a swarm covering 3 frames is small. I would be on the alert for wasps, especially if you do feed. Do not be too quick to add too much space, only adding it if and when they actually need it. You still have time for them to build. We still have a flow on here, so if here, I would not feed

No need to build all the frames are already drawn and i can add a further super with drawn frames so it would be a brood and a half if needed . But at moment 50% of brood box is there to go at . I have taken decision to feed just a kilo of syrup give them a boost and have alook on a nice hot day in next 2 weeks to see where they are at .

No need to build all the frames are already drawn and i can add a further super with drawn frames so it would be a brood and a half if needed . But at moment 50% of brood box is there to go at . I have taken decision to feed just a kilo of syrup give them a boost and have alook on a nice hot day in next 2 weeks to see where they are at .
When you say a kilo of syrup is it 1:1? 1kg of sugar you have used. If above you may need to check sooner I would be?

Feed them put your stores at the hive walls. Feed 1/1 syrup to get the queen laying. Slip a frame in the middle of the brood when you see a frame hatching for them to draw. If they have no cells to lay eggs in spin the frames that have stores and feed it back. Put the frames you spin in the middle of the brood box and ignor the weekly rule of inspections. Stay on them until your frames are drawn then feed them up for winter. Edit. I see frames are drawn so just keep the feed on them to get her to lay at full capacity. When ones capped give empty in the middle. By empty I mean drawn empty. Push them you'll have a full brood by November. Top tip insulate them now but give them ventilation. The more heat you give them the more brood they will produce

Last edited:
A colony of that size would be better off in a nuc or polynuc rather than a full-sized hive so they have less space to heat. They will expand quicker. You won't need a super this year by the sounds of it. Winter is approaching and the colony will need stores, so I would have no problem in gentle feeding to allow them to lay down the stores they'll need as well as encouraging continuous laying.

My post above seems to be a bit ‘hazy’.

A kilo of sugar plus 600mls of water (as posted in the first post of the thread) is not 1:1 by simple calculation, which is (by definition) not difficult!

1:1 emulates nectar but thick er id likely to be stored rather than fed to larvae or used for comb building.

Latest posts

Back