Large rural garden or Apple orchard.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanrpwaacs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3-6
As the title states . What would be your prefered site . I now have the choice of both . I am leaning towards the orchard but am worried by the spraying that may go on . Likewise the garden could pose a problem if a swarm broke free . Its doing my head in a bit .

Swarms love trees as an initial staging post.

So if the large rural garden has trees near the hives, you should be OK.

(I have exactly that...)

I'd choose the site where I would have a guaranteed access, so would be reluctant to choose somebody else's garden in case I turned up to do the bees and found the family having a barbecue.

I'd choose the site where I would have a guaranteed access, so would be reluctant to choose somebody else's garden in case I turned up to do the bees and found the family having a barbecue.
The garden is good with access from the long drive . They dont have grand children ect so not worried about family visits ect .

Trees less than 5m tall please that don't mind the occasional small branch removed in may / June :)

You'd go that high!!!

@ the Op, depends on what surrounds the garden / orchard. Think about forage nearby (fields / gardens) and also visibility from public highways (for security).

Maybe let availability of forage decide? If the orchard is surrounded by grass for miles they won't get much forage off it and the season will be short. We are in the middle of a suburban area with hives in our garden and have a good flow even when agricultural areas have none.
Ray

As the title states . What would be your prefered site . I now have the choice of both . I am leaning towards the orchard but am worried by the spraying that may go on . Likewise the garden could pose a problem if a swarm broke free . Its doing my head in a bit .

Unless there is alternative forage at the orchard the bees will only benefit from a short period of apple blossom. The garden sounds better to me.

Go for the garden but keep the orchard as an option for the odd rogue hive that gets stroppy!

Latest posts

Back