Langstroth Polly hive Abelo - Feeder help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbeegoode

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello, I have a Abelo langstroth Polly hive and was wondering what feeder do i need to feed syrup? I always hear people speaking highly about the Ashforth feeder however all i see is the national fitting ones. Surely Abelo sell something that fits the langstroth or am i just been stupid :). Is there anything compatible with it.? Any advice is appreciated ,Thanks

the Ashforth feeder however all i see is the national
National was the dominant hive design when Harrison Ashforth designed the box feeder, and there is no Abelo Langstroth equivalent.

Another supplier, the Finnish company Honey Paw, does supply an Ashforth-style box feeder, but I presume their Lang market justified the expense of the mould.

You will have to use a fiddly rapid feeder over the central CB hole, and put an empty super round it.

National was the dominant hive design when Harrison Ashforth designed the box feeder, and there is no Abelo Langstroth equivalent.

Another supplier, the Finnish company Honey Paw, does supply an Ashforth-style box feeder, but I presume their Lang market justified the expense of the mould.

You will have to use a fiddly rapid feeder over the central CB hole, and put an empty super round it.
Perfect, thanks for the explanation (y)

When you are choosing a rapid feeder, dont make my mistake and think the large white rentangular 6l one will just fit. It's a tiniest few mm too big and you cant get the lid on. I cut my losses and just stick to the smaller 4 pint round ones.

Not really fiddly for a hobby keeper with few hives that can be visited every day. It’s all I’ve ever used.
Same for me. I don't bother with an empty super as the abelo poly deep roofs are light and sit quite comfortably on top of the feeder with a half brick in the centre on top.

Latest posts

Back