Kounis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karol

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I know everyone is sick to death of the anaphylaxis thread and I don't mean to open old sores. However, in the interests of human health I just wanted to report on some more developments regarding Kounis syndrome especially in light of recent news regarding apparently perfectly healthy sports people and athletes suffering heart attacks and sudden death.

Kounis syndrome or in lay speak, wasp/bee sting induced angina or heart attacks, appear to be far more common than ever first thought (with possibly as many as 1000 to 1400 miss diagnosed deaths per annum in the UK). The problem with Kounis is that the angina/heart attack (with no other symptoms) might not come on for as much as a fortnight after the sting. By then the patient has forgotten that they were stung and certainly medics don't look for wasp/bee sting causation.

Kounis is treated very differently to anaphylaxis. Epipens (and I dread to mention them again) aren't used because they make the angina/heart attack worse. Medics treating Kounis use antihistamines amongst other drugs.

I have posted previously that keeping chlorpheniramine 4mg tablets may be a good idea. Well if anyone is stung and several days later starts developing chest pain, then it might be an idea to take a tablet whilst waiting for medics to arrive.

Not many GPs or pharmacists will be familiar with Kounis because it really is newly emerging data.

Having said my bit I would be happy for the moderator to close this thread.

Kind regards,

Karol

Latest posts

Back