Korean bee tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two of these trees. Last year they flowered great & the bees were all over them.
This year neither of them have flowered or even got flower buds.
They are both well leaved & healthy looking. Has anyone else experienced this with this tree?

I have two or three at my house in Brittany but they all seem to have flowered this year. Fabulous trees...sounds like a swarm when the bees are working the flowers.
All I would suggest is that they may have got too dry last autumn. Make sure they have enough water and perhaps feeding before the winter.

mine came with the property propolis57, the previous owner, a pig farmer was a beekeeper as well and a lot of the planting was for bees. There are a few huge eucalyptus and walnut and Spanish chestnut and lots of bramble as well since I took over. I have been trying to get some more beebee trees but they are hard to find. I found one guy selling small saplings for 30 euro. I think I must try to propagate some from seed myself. I will be back in France in a few weeks and will definitely try to collect some seed. Watch this space.

Seeds were/ are available from Chiltern seeds. Listed as Evodia Cat no. 579 in the 2014 catalogue.

We have 6 going at the moment. They've reached a whole 1 foot high in 12 months. They germinated well, all that we sowed came up.

Hope this helps.

Tim.

My best - grown from seed there years ago - is now 3 meters tall, having grown 2 meters this year...

Burncoose Nursery in Cornwall has them expensive if you have to have them sent to you.
Tried to grow from seed but none germinated....
Will try again but will stratify the seed this winter for longer...4 weeks not enough it seems...

I have two or three at my house in Brittany but they all seem to have flowered this year. Fabulous trees...sounds like a swarm when the bees are working the flowers.
All I would suggest is that they may have got too dry last autumn. Make sure they have enough water and perhaps feeding before the winter.

Thanks for that. They both flowered well the last few years. This year they both grew alot but no flowers. I bought them both young trees. Had a wait for them,but my local garden center got them for me.
I"ll pamper them both before winter & see how they do for next year.
Sharon

Thanks for that. They both flowered well the last few years. This year they both grew alot but no flowers. I bought them both young trees. Had a wait for them,but my local garden center got them for me.
I"ll pamper them both before winter & see how they do for next year.
Sharon

The link I gave in my previous post here said that they take 7 years to flower. Long wait and invasive!! Undesirable import imo.

Your link said they are not generally considered invasive but are on the watch list.
It was someone posting a comment under the description said they were invasive & that they don't flower for seven years. I don't think that is true, as I have seen very young bee tree saplings in flower. Maybe that person is mixing up the bee tree with some other tree.
Sycamore can be invasive. My whole garden was full of little saplings this year . I spent a day going around removing them from all my flower beds. Alot are weather dependant

The link I gave in my previous post here said that they take 7 years to flower. Long wait and invasive!! Undesirable import imo.

Now given the generic name Tetradium, these trees were once called Euodia, which had previously been spelt Evodia, since this is how it would be pronounced in Greek and which provides a more easily pronounceable if inaccurate, common name. Euodia is Greek for a sweet scent.

Mitchell notes Evodia as “rare; in collections but also in London Parks”.

The parks concerned are Kensington Gardens behind the Orangery (T. velutina), St James’s Park, one tree near Storey’s Gate, (the entrance nearest to the Houses of Parliament), in Regent’s Park, in Queen Mary’s Gardens, Chelsea Physic Garden and Greenwich Park where there is a specimen 17 metres (55.76 feet) high. Cannizaro Park, Wimbledon, Fulham Palace Gardens, Hampton Court, Normand Park, Fulham, and Hanwell Cemetery also boast specimens of this unusual tree. The Normand Park tree grows beside the bowling green and is visible from Lillie Road SW6. Avenue House Finchley and Syon Park also have specimens.

http://tinyurl.com/m247rsw

Latest posts

Back