Kingskerswell - "firebombing" a beehive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nose Ma

House Bee
Reaction score
Worcs/West Midlands/South Staffs border(!)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I don't know if any of our southern friends caught this rather disturbing article from the "This Is Exeter" website:

Youth firebombed hive after being stung by bees

A TEENAGER who was stung trying to steal honey from a beehive launched a revenge attack and petrol bombed the hive – killing 54,000 bees.

The 17-year-old boy ran away after being stung on the hand as he tried to take some honey.

He returned later with five friends and a plastic bottle filled with petrol, which he set alight and threw at the hive.

It burst into flames, killing about a third of the bees which the owners had spent three years building up.

The youth, who cannot be named, was found guilty of one count of arson following a two-day trial at Newton Abbot Magistrates' Court.

The hive was set up in the grounds of Kingskerswell Parish Church in 2007.

Three youths appeared in court charged with arson but the charges were dropped against two of them.

A third was found guilty of arson by destroying by fire a beehive worth £480 on June 1.

Giving evidence, one of his friends said: "It went up really quickly."

The case was adjourned for sentencing to a date to be set.

The hive was funded by the Kingskerswell Manor House Trust and produced honey to raise money for the historic site.

Trust spokeswoman Wendy Coombes said: "I find it incredible that someone would do such a thing."

According to the Daily Mirror the eventual sentence was a month's curfew:

THE yob who torched a beehive after being stung stealing honey was yesterday given a month’s night curfew.

Neville Cockerham, 18, killed 54,000 honey bees in a drunken rampage.

He was later spotted laughing and waving a piece of flaming wood.

Last week he was found guilty of the arson as well as vandalising three cars in Kingskerswell, Devon.

John Kiddey, magistrate at Newton Abbot youth court, told him: “We have imposed the curfew as you have shown a propensity to cause a nuisance.

“In addition, the offences were alcohol-fuelled and at night.”

The jobless teen also admitted causing a nuisance at a school.

He was given a one-year community order and told to pay £200 towards replacing the hive run by villager Wendy Coombe, plus £850 other costs.

I'm quite amazed anyone would even think to try it, then be surprised when they get stung. Seems a somewhat light sentence (and the poor beek in question getting a paltry £200 towards a new hive, frames, bees etc).

Happy Easter everyone.

some one posted the first article but not the sentence. Not knowing a lot about fire bombing bees can some one tell me can you only do this at night?

Can't see the scumbag paying the costs either!

I've never had to do it, but I understand that with some infections (AFB?) you kill the hive by locking the bees in at night, and then pouring petrol onto the crown board. It was some time since I heard that though. The inspector giving the talk said he hated doing it, and was sure the bees knew what was going to happen, and seemed to scream.

No flames until the next day, when frames are burnt in a fire pit.

Makes me wonder how much they "knew" in this case. It's a tragic tale.

Plenty of opportunity in Devon to burn other peoples bees - he just needs to become a bee inspector.:D

With individuals like that the ONLY way to deal with them is an old fashioned hiding. Fear works, Curfews dont.

Latest posts

Back