Kindle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
santa came to me this christmas with a ebook reader, a great tool for keeping all your beekeeping fact sheets, anyone know where to find free ebooks on beekeeping

At the hive entrance is available as a PDF. The link has been posted on the forum before. I believe that with a kindle account you can convert PDF docs to read on the Kindle (or you might simply be able to upload them to the machine directly).

go to project guthenburg for some older books that are free.

Yes you can download PDF's directly to the kindle.

I can open websites on my 3G version but I use my iPhone to do my hive records. When I can be bothered.:xmas-smiley-013:

keep us up dated.. i am interested in a real small one that i can put in my pocket like the size of a blackberry..

keep us up dated.. i am interested in a real small one that i can put in my pocket like the size of a blackberry..

Cool. Thanks Admin for the Calibre Ebook manager recommendation.

I suspect that free Ebooks will be pretty elderly. Beware.

I have been browsing for them too BTW but for my Kobo.

PH

torrentz seems to be a good free site

I suspect that free Ebooks will be pretty elderly. Beware.

I have been browsing for them too BTW but for my Kobo.

PH

torrentz seems to be a good free site

As I said I have just filled up the mother in laws Kindle with "free" books. By that I ment all the latest paper packs that would (even at Kindle prices ) have cost a few hundred pounds

I uses Utorent.

I was shocked at the prices via Amazon, it said "list book price" e.g £19.99, "kindle price" £10.99.

You can buy the book in Asda for about £8 anyway, so I thought what a waste this Kindle thing is....Straight onto Utorent.

I dont read books anyway (well only technical books related to work or study) not trashy novels etc, but if i was, I would take a book because I would either loose it or drop it or get it wet, not much good for a Kindle or Kobo or ewhatsit

I seem to remember the OFT or someone like that is looking at the price of e-books. There does seem to be some serious profiteering but I suppose if the price of e-books came down significantly it would put even more local bookshops out of business. The one once owned by Christopher Robin (of Pooh Bear fame) closed in Dartmouth this year. However, I suspect like record shops bookshops will continue to struggle as more and more books are downloaded.

I got a Kindle for Chrimble and am indeed reading a trashy novel on it. Which I paid for! (£4.50)

There are a lot of novels available only as downloads at prices such as 49p. They are from new authors and some of them are quite good. You can also get some good old stuff for free, such as The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins which I read recently for the first time having seen umpteen adaptations on the BBC.

There are even some beekeeping books available as e-books now.

Last edited:
Without wishing to be a "bah, humbug", can I remind/inform people that it's possible to get the Kindle app for the iPad.

You get all the advantages of the Kindle ereader, with so much more:
Internet access, emails, gaming, all your music, photos, maps, location & conversion apps, document readers, etc etc etc.

Of course, you pay much more - but the possibilities are infinitely greater than the one-shot-pony which is the Kindle.

The Kindle will read pdfs, but apart from the formatting which has already been mentioned, you will also encounter problems if the background is darker than "paper white", ie parchment type colour on older books.

I encountered this problem last year when I bought the Bickerstaffe's set of beekeeping books and magazines on DVD and proceeded to convert them and /or just copy them to Kindle (.azw) format.

I can only imagine that this is because the background is effectively interpreted by the Kindle as a shade of grey, so the font does not appear in legible form on it. Displays fine on the PC screen.

I found a lot of beekeeping material here, http://www.archive.org/ all of it free. If you look in the LH column, you will see about 8 different formats you can download in, including rtf, Kindle, and pdf.

I didn't check for trashy novels btw, just beekeeping stuff...;)

Without wishing to be a "bah, humbug", can I remind/inform people that it's possible to get the Kindle app for the iPad.

And for Androids and PCs, but one benefit of the Kindle is the very long battery life - several months, plus the larger screen compared to a smart 'phone.

I bought the wife one with a waterproof case for xmas, but she does not want it! :toetap05: (an avid book and newspaper reader... i have no idea why not!)

so I have just inherited it back. I was going to send it back, but after seeing this thread, I might not.

I bought her a waterproof case (down to 15 metres) so she could read in the bath, but rather than using that, I was thinking I could use a diposable zip-lock bag to keep the propolis off.
I am not a huge reader of books. Somerford steve lent me a couple of books about 6 months ago and have only just finished them.... although I don't read loaned books in the bath... only my own.

I might keep it after all....

Back