Keeping bees on somebody else’s property

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlystrung

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi, I have an offer to keep bees in somebody else’s property. As this would be partnership I would like to know from anybody else who has done / is doing the same - what type of arrangement they have between themselves and the land owners. I meeting them later this week.

In my case they are offering to buy the hive (although I could do that too) and I believe are mostly interested in having bees in their large garden from a beneficial to wildlife perspective as opposed to financial gain. However, I’m sure they expect / like some honey from it too!

Factors I have thought both parties need to be clear on are:-

Their and my motives – clearly need to be mutually aligned
Access to the beehives
Daily / weekly management – accountable me
Equipment for daily / weekly management – accountable me
Extraction equipment ownership - accountable me
Beehive ownership – Landowners
Frames ownership – accountable me (in case either party wants to cease the relationship so I can take the bees, brood and stores away)
Bee ownership – accountable me (to be covered by my insurance)
Legalities – (agreement on how to end the relationship if either side wishes to) – between myself and landowners
Variable costs – varroa treatment etc….. accountable me

I’d appreciate other peoples views on what sort of arrangements they came up with. I’m thinking that the key agreement is around the Honey harvest sharing – as this is the main financial gain from keeping bees….what percentage for each party?

My latest thinking is that the simplest form of partnership is that I supply everything except the location (which they supply) and I give them a share of the honey harvest as a payment for the land usage….. What would be an appropriate percentage?

Thanks for your thoughts, regards, Neil

I believe in keeping it simple.

Rent is traditionally 1lb jar of honey per hive per year.

A single Bee hive in a garden with all the hassle it could possibly involve!! I wouldn't give it too much thought time before I decided to look for something better.

I keep my hives in someone else's garden. I own the hives and kit . In exchange for the use of the patch of land I have to keep the areas strimmed and tidy (no mean feat it's quite an area and it was nettle /bramble infested).

With the initial outline it sounds very much like their land and their hive, but you do all the work. What would you get out of it?

Your last idea seems much more sensible - you rent a small space in the garden by paying the usual honey rent of 1lb/hive/annum.

Most people are assholes just bear that in mind when deciding.

Most people are assholes just bear that in mind when deciding.

Harsh: was just thinking about this. Catching disease would be an analogy. Better would be SOME people are arseholes. Expose yourself to enough people and you are all but certain to bump into an arsehole.

Harsh: was just thinking about this. Catching disease would be an analogy. Better would be SOME people are arseholes. Expose yourself to enough people and you are all but certain to bump into an arsehole.

Then there are those that seem ok but their true state becomes apparent after entering into an arrangement with them.

Partnership

The worst ship is a partnership. Look for somewhere else and purchase the hives. If you do find a nice person who will allow your hives on their land then 1lb jar of honey per hive rent per season is usually all that's required.

Hi All,

Thanks for your thoughts. These people are through another friend and highly likely to be very pleasant so I'm more optimistic than many of you suggest on the relationship!

I'm surprised that the rent is only 1 lb jar or honey per hive .... seems very little to be paying for usage of some space ... although I guess they are getting the benefit of pollination and the "feel good" factor of helping wildlife....

thanks, Neil

The worst ship is a partnership. Look for somewhere else and purchase the hives. If you do find a nice person who will allow your hives on their land then 1lb jar of honey per hive rent per season is usually all that's required.

:iagree:

We also benefit from selling our product line at an " Open Garden Day" at one of our out apiaries... and also give a healthy donation from that to one of the local Hospice charities.
There are sometimes more benefits than honey to keeping bees!

Mytten da

Hi All,

Thanks for your thoughts. These people are through another friend and highly likely to be very pleasant so I'm more optimistic than many of you suggest on the relationship!

I'm surprised that the rent is only 1 lb jar or honey per hive .... seems very little to be paying for usage of some space ... although I guess they are getting the benefit of pollination and the "feel good" factor of helping wildlife....

thanks, Neil

I pay my farmer 1lbs jar per hive and receive much more than just space at the sides of his fields!

However he also receives pollination services!

Good luck. It is brilliant that you are thinking it through so thoroughly. I hope you and your "partners" get on well and have a long time beekeeping together.
I think it best you own everything and they just provide the land. I am sure you will work something out to the benefit of all.

I pay my farmer 1lbs jar per hive and receive much more than just space at the sides of his fields!

However he also receives pollination services!

is that based on hives at the beginning of the year, end of the year, middle of the year...empty or full colonies?

average....

Most problems arise through misunderstandings. You do right to seek to clarify things in advance. But keep it simple. You provide all the equipment and do all the work. They provide space, get the pollination and receive one jar per hive.
Ensure that they are aware how often you will need to inspect, and that you may have a bee buddy or inspector with you.
And advise them that there may be swarms, and explain how you'll deal with them.

Hi All,

thanks, Neil

Why? you didn't know and now you do. I give my landowners more but the DEAL is 1lb/per hive/per year the rest is my good nature. I do it partly to keep the tradition going but also not to set a precedent for my fellow local beeks. Its the industry standard.

Most problems arise through misunderstandings. You do right to seek to clarify things in advance. But keep it simple. You provide all the equipment and do all the work. They provide space, get the pollination and receive one jar per hive.
Ensure that they are aware how often you will need to inspect, and that you may have a bee buddy or inspector with you.
And advise them that there may be swarms, and explain how you'll deal with them.

Sound advice.

One of my out apiaries is on a farm. When one hive turned unexpectedly nasty... very nasty a couple of months ago and kept my landlord under house arrest for two days. The situation reached critical mass very quickly. Swift action was needed and I was lucky I could move the hive very quickly. You need a plan B. I have a wonderful relationship with my landowner but another day of house arrest would have irrevocably damaged our relationship and I then would have needed to find homes for 8 hives!!!

Your insurance won't pay-out on the destruction of the other persons hive if your bees contract a notifiable disease!

Latest posts

Back