Just wondering what the very light honey might be?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just taste it. Lime is unmistakably minty/slightly medicinal, if it's clover then nobody will know if you over did the spring feeding anyway 😂😂

I know. But sometimes info gets added as the thread goes on.
Just to say that I took what he was saying differently from how pargyle did.
I jarred one jar of the lime to take a photo.
The rest is in buckets just to clarify. (summer honey)

I already had read the full post. But we all read and interpret posts differently.

I'm always careful with making sure I think I know what the person is saying when they've previously said they're dyslexic, which can put a different slant on things.
Well ... I know CGF is not a master of the English language and I make allowances ... and if I am not sure what he is saying I ask him to clarify ... I was trying to answer his original question ... which was What is this light coloured honey - with a photo of six jars of honey that all looked light to me ... I can't help it if the clarity I was seeking was answered with a statement that meant something different to what he intended.

I certainly did not appreciate his rude response ... uncalled for.

I've bought 4 supers back from the highest apiary and the honey is like this.
Harwthorne? None of these hives have been extracted from. View attachment 27413View attachment 27414
Who knows ?...It could be anything without the provenance of what they were foraging on and when. It's a medium by the looks of it in honey grading terms - I don't think it's dark but, in the bucket, it's hard to tell and before it has settled. Why are you worrying about it ... it's honey.

Looks like any other spring honey to me.
Does it smell of hawthorn?
Yes it does a bit, the only trees up there are harwthorne and blackthorn, a few Holly.
It's not to far away from the summit.
And 1 Mile from my home.
And this is prodomatly harwthorne. IMG_20210726_212046.jpg

Last edited:
I can confirm that the light honey is lime as an old friend of mine has had a taste and he has had lime honey from his hives before.
You might suggest that it is lime honey but be careful ... to be truly claimed as monofloral honey it needs to have provenance and meet certain requirements ... I don't think your friends taste test is quite sufficient. Better to keep it as just honey and suggest verbally to your punters what it may contain.

Monofloral honey refers to honey made from nectar collected from one particular flower variety. This, however, does not mean that such honey does not contain elementsfrom other floral varieties. Monofloral honey might contain nectar of various other flowers, but the nectar from the main sources is dominant.Production of monofloral honey is only possible under the following two conditions:

1. The target nectar origin must be dominant in the area. Bees must have few alternatives for nectar collection. Additionally, beekeepers must prepare the hives and colonies for collection of this nectar, including the removal of any other honey to avoid ‘contamination’ by other nectars

2.The beekeeper must coordinate the timing between the introduction of the beehive and the harvesting. They must coincide with the blooming period of the specific plant. This is possible through careful observation of the blooming period of the target nectar source and overlapping blooming periods ofother nectar-producing plants.

I remember someone saying that about balsam last year and correctly being told that only the bees could definitely say that. ;)
Yes ... for a high value crop, found in a straight line from the hive, bees can fly up to 4Kms to forage ... some sources claim 5Kms but I suspect, unless there is a particular dearth in the interim radius, that 3Km is probably nearer the general distance they will fly in most locations to forage. The key very much seems to be the straight line to the crop ... put a hill in the way or woodland and they are discouraged.

Yes ... for a high value crop, found in a straight line from the hive, bees can fly up to 4Kms to forage
And if you're talking balsam, high value it isn't. seen bees ignore a couple of acres of balsam only five hundred yards from the hives and, instead, flying over 2 miles to the nearest heather

And do not use your pollen analysis as a testament either. The analysis tells you the plants that the bees visited.

I Agree with all, a taste test isn't enough.
And at the end of the day it will be labelled as honey not anything specific.
Cheers.
Edit : I think the old boy was just highlighting the flavour as being limey in taste and colour over a cup of tea.

Latest posts

Back