Just starting out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Morning,

Wondered if anyone could help me please...

My partner and I have very recently obtained two WBC Hives, from my Uncle who is a beekeeper on the Isle of Anglesey.

Please could anyone advise on where would be the best place to purchase a Nuc of bees, for our hives, we are willing to travel upto an hour to collect them. Our hives will be located in Doncaster.

Thanks for looking at my post

Tracy

Last edited:
May I ask what your bee keeping experience is. Ok having hives... but when bees arrive you need to know what you & they are doing.
Join your local Assoc and ask for a swarm, they should be gathering them about now. Get a bee buddy that lives near the hives that can mentor you for a while.
Lovely to have WBC's. Enjoy.

Welcome to the forum, beekeeping is more than just keeping bees as most of us have found out the hard way so a little more information, as heather says, to know a little more about you just so we can give advice and help! Do you have any other kit, knowledge, experience etc.
but hi anyway :)
E

Hi,
Welcome. I would recommend you join your local beekeepers association, even do the beginners course & preliminary exam.
Alot to learn before handling bees, and get some good books as they are always there if you need to look up something.
Best of luck with your new venture :)
Sharon

Love Beekeeping <3

Morning,

Wondered if anyone could help me please...

My partner and I have very recently obtained two WBC Hives, from my Uncle who is a beekeeper on the Isle of Anglesey.

Please could anyone advise on where would be the best place to purchase a Nuc of bees, for our hives, we are willing to travel upto an hour to collect them. Our hives will be located in Doncaster.

Thanks for looking at my post

Tracy

I strongly recommend you don't put bees into your hives until you have joined a local BKA and handled bees, learned at least the practical aspects and got hold of a few good books and someone to help when things don't go to plan.

I strongly recommend you don't put bees into your hives until you have joined a local BKA and handled bees, learned at least the practical aspects and got hold of a few good books and someone to help when things don't go to plan.

:iagree: It'll save a lot of heartache plus the local association will have plenty of people to bounce questions off.

:iagree: It'll save a lot of heartache plus the local association will have plenty of people to bounce questions off.
hi all as every one knows i got my bee's in oct 2013 now if i had my time over again bee's would be last on the list !!!!

Hi, I am not too far from you. Look on the South Staffs Bee Keepers website for contact details. I did their beginners course last year and I would recommend it. Lots of bee keepers recommend the book 'Bees & Honey' by Ted Hooper MBE - make sure you buy the updated edition.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back