June gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't got a colony yet and never heard of the June gap before embarking on this quest but I walk the dog in a local Dene and have noticed that there seems to be a decline of flowering shrubs and trees in the last few days where as a couple of weeks ago there was swathes of flowers.
Will it start up again or is that it for the summer?

I haven't got a colony yet and never heard of the June gap before embarking on this quest but I walk the dog in a local Dene and have noticed that there seems to be a decline of flowering shrubs and trees in the last few days where as a couple of weeks ago there was swathes of flowers.
Will it start up again or is that it for the summer?

It depends on : the weather, local flora and where you live.

We have a June gap most years as the weather is lousy and reduces foraging. In good weather, most spring trees stop flowering end May (hawthorn) and lime starts early July. Usually brambles start July - they are in flower now...

But if you live where the great uneducated masses do - down souf- :sunning: :sorry: you can change those dates dramatically..

So no firm answer..

Seem to have moved from one source to another so far since spring eventually kicked in. Bees back to piling in pollen over the last couple of days, lots of bramble and thistle now, rosebay willow herb and HB not far away now

June Gap here due to lack of rain

June gap here due to too much - although I went up to the home apiary yesterday (in the light but persistent rain) to see all colonies and nucs flying as if it was a bright sunny day!

June Gap here due to lack of rain

One of the positive sides of my apiary location on the allotment, no rain and everyone makes more use of the hosepipe, massive variety for the bees to go at. Also a water course close by so not that dried out, but I know what you mean a little rain would be good

What is HB short for Wingy please

Hymilayan Balsam grows along river banks waste land and just about anywhere it can set seed. Very invasive & a nightmare for the environment agency trying to control it. But fantastic for bees. You will see people referring to “ghost bees” as they come back with a white streak on their thorax, a sure sign they have been in the HB

Amazing the differences in flowering times for different areas...non out here and won't be for at least another month or longer.

Lack of rain here too - getting days of low thick cloud and mizzle that does no good. The bees are flying in it though.

Back