Jelly honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbisme

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Second full year and I completed my summer extraction all good,

I have one hive piling in on balsam and they have filled a super big time so I thought ok get the extractor out again to top my stock up, well uncapped the frames and into the extractor they went.

OMG just jelly like lumps came out, not the usually nice flow any ideas what it is?

I stopped straight away and still have the super full of whatever it is and plans to feed back for the winter.

Quite probably heather honey, this is thixanthropic and agitation will turn it to a liquid before it will revert back to a gell. as your in Stafford I presume there is some heather on Cannock chase and surrounding areas

Thanks Sherwood as the crow flys probably about two miles from Cannock Chase so a good chance it being heather, It's my only hive on this location my others are further away from the chase.

Definitely heather! Cannock chase has yielded well this year. �� and I had 9 on the balsam and found it yielded nothing or near nothing. Enjoy your chase heather honey

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back