Jarred honey is slightly granulated...solutions?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
My soft set OSR honey was doing fine in the garage since I jarred it up in September (followed the soft set OSR sticky). I just went to get a jar or two for the window-box (for sale), and I noticed that the top half inch or so has pulled away from the jar due to crystallisation. This has also given the honey that has crystallised a slightly different colour. Both aspects make the jarred honey less attractive.

I'm guessing that the sudden crystallisation is due to the drop in temperature (honey jarred at the same time and which has stayed indoors has not granulated). I'm also guessing that if I leave it in the garage, the honey will continue to crystallise all the way to the bottom of the jar, so I have brought it indoors.

However, does anyone have any advice on how to reverse this change in the upper layers of the jar? I don't really want to sell it while it is like this.

you cant just deal with the upper layer, you will have to deal with the whole jar. Warm it up and let it set again.

He he. I wasn't intending to take out the offending crystallised stuff from the jar and treat it separately! But when I have my jar in hand ready to sort it out...Warm it up...by how much and for how long? And in a Bain Marie, or in the microwave?

Veg is right numbers are essential. I would guess your garage is cold. Room temperature will keep it soft set for longer. A few jars cab be done in a microwave without lids. Low power until soft. Do not heat it too much. Best way would be a warming cabinet of some sort. Old freezer with thermostat and heat tray?!
E

Problem with micro is you get hot spots

Place the jars in a large saucepan with water up to the necks of the jars not touching the underside of the lid though. Warm the water to perhaps around 40 degs and let the jars stand in the water until the honey is melted.

You will be able to control the temperature of the water more than heating in the microwave.

depends on number of jars if a few then saucepan, but it could be a large amount

I used an old chicken egg incubator- took a couple of days. Now I just keep my honey in the airing cupboard in buckets until I need it - tho I haven't got that much! It hasn't crystallised since. N x

I have maybe 70 jars of the stuff, but I only sell a couple of jars a week. I'll try the saucepan method and see where that gets me, although I have an old freezer that I could convert to a warming cabinet if doing jars a few at a time gets tedious!

I just keep my honey in the airing cupboard in buckets until I need it
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Airing cupboards probably at an ideal temperature for yeasts leading to fermentation.
Honey should be kept cool as fermentation can be a bigger problem than granulation.
Although not an a realistic option (except for cutcomb) honey kept in the freezer doesn't tend to granulate

Airing cupboard

I just keep my honey in the airing cupboard in buckets until I need it
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Airing cupboards probably at an ideal temperature for yeasts leading to fermentation.
Honey should be kept cool as fermentation can be a bigger problem than granulation.
Although not an a realistic option (except for cutcomb) honey kept in the freezer doesn't tend to granulate

Ive just asked my wife if I could put my honey buckets it the airing cupboard!

she said NO !!!!!!!!!

Dave W

Latest posts

Back