Ivy honey and how late you can leave it

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpola

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There's been mention on here of specifically trying to get some Ivy honey. It's really not clear to me, this being my first year and all, how close to the winter we go before tucking the bees up for the year. If I put an empty super on now (drawn out) when I would I be thinking about taking it off at the latest?

Apologies for the naivety. I have tried to figure this out from the books!

you need to have yours bees ready for winter by the 19th of september i have never tried to get a crop of ivy i leave it for the ladys

you need to have yours bees ready for winter by the 19th of september i have never tried to get a crop of ivy i leave it for the ladys

Surely that is in your area, bee crazy? Mine were foraging into November last year.

The Ivy here is not quite out;maybe a week and it should bloom for over six weeks. Here's hoping for some nice late weather. By November last year our hives were under 4 inches of snow and the ivy was still blooming.

We've got ivy well out here in the south east and the bees are all over it. Have got the supers off and the Apiguard on now so I'm hoping they are stuffing it in the brood box to save me some sugar.

Surely that is in your area, bee crazy? Mine were foraging into November last year.

What i ment was that i dont bother harvesting Ivy Honey mine were also foraging in to November last year but i let them fill the brood box

Honey off all feeding and treatment done by the 19th sep except the ones on the Heather but thats a different storey;)

you need to have yours bees ready for winter by the 19th of september

done by the 19th sep

Please tell us more about this magical date of September 19.

I, for one, have failed already. I realise it is a race against time, but was not aware it was race against a particuler date. I am just cruising along steadily. Expect to arrive at the finishing post early October or perhaps even as late as November, who knows....

RAB

done by the 19th sep

I, for one, have failed already. I realise it is a race against time, but was not aware it was race against a particuler date. I am just cruising along steadily. Expect to arrive at the finishing post early October or perhaps even as late as November, who knows....

RAB

Quite.

What i ment was that i dont bother harvesting Ivy Honey mine were also foraging in to November last year but i let them fill the brood box

Honey off all feeding and treatment done by the 19th sep except the ones on the Heather but thats a different storey;)

Gotcha.

done by the 19th sep

RAB

Nothing magical Rab i just work better with a target i think it has something to do with working in sales. I will say that i never get everything done with the bees by this date. But having a full time job and all the ladys i dont get much time to see the wife and she gets a bit jealous so i have to take her on holiday in october :D

Back