Ivy flow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
could you add a super feed early then as brood rearing slows down bruse the syrup in the super so they draw it down that way you dont affect brood rearing if you are on a smaller bb that way you can also add supers to catch the ivy flow aswell.????

I'm not sure the bees would co-operate with that plan!

Logically if it wasn't good for them they wouldn't have survived this long in a wild state - which of course they have, modern bee keeping being relatively recent occurrence in the history of honey bees....so, once again I ask, what's the problem in reality as opposed to speculation.

Chris

Don't suppose they had all the honey taken away when they were in a wild state either....leaving them a good mixture of different honey which would not granulate like a brick.

Spot on Hivemaker! I'm going to pretend I'd worked that out already!

Understood Hivemaker, but non the less that honey would get used sooner or later - yes?

It still doesn't answer whether a colony will starve if there is only ivy honey in store.. so still looking for someone that has had a colony starve that had good stocks of ivy honey.

Chris

If you have a good strong colony then they can cope with a BB full of Ivy but if they are struggling it may be to mutch of an ask. If you see frames of solid Ivy it looks like Kendal Mint Cake.

Latest posts

Back