Its spring ,its spring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very informative clv
muswell which bit did you read:
"The average sea ice extent for January 2013 was 13.78 million square kilometers (5.32 million square miles). This is 1.06 million square kilometers (409,000 square miles) below the 1979 to 2000 average for the month"

, if you had quoted the 1979-2000 average rather than this year in your first post we would not have a dispute

anyway back to beekeeping

Last edited:
We need to careful about sea ice extent - winter extent isn't a useful metric. During the Arctic winter it will always freeze, it's dark with surface temperatures -20C and below. The useful metrics are summer minimum and volume.

We have lots a lot of Arctic sea ice this season a record amount, to a new minimum. This, from a fairly high winter extent illustrating how poor a metric it is.

Here's the chart of Arctic sea ice volume:
http://psc.apl.washington.edu/wordp...olume/BPIOMASIceVolumeAnomalyCurrentV2_CY.png
Volume is more informative than area extent, especially winter area extent.

Regarding Antarctic sea ice the key thing to remember is that the north and south pole systems could hardly be more different. Pretty much their only common factor is that they are at poles. It would be surprising if they responded the the same way. We know circulation has a big role to play in regional temperatures. Without ocean and atmosphere circulation the equator would be a lot hotter than today and the poles a lot colder. What's happening in Antarctica is that the already somewhat isolated continent is warming slower than rest of the planet, increasing the temperature difference, which is increasing its isolation from climate dynamics (circulation). I read somewhere that the isolating circumpolar wind field has strengthen.

It's incorrect to suggest the growth in Antarctica some how nullifies the significance of Arctic ice loss, that would be comparing apples to oranges. The two systems are not commutable.

CLV, i agree, I have worked in yellowknife Canada on Magnetic anomolies in the late 1960s and saw in 2002 the changes since then in ice mass, it is devastating comunities and eco there

my initial reply was that it appears to have recoveed this winter nothing more nothing less but it will of course all be "one year ice"

Latest posts

Back