It's a long shot......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
.....but I'm off to the Greek island of Paxos for a week tomorrow morning and I wondered if anyone knew of any local beekeepers on the island (or nearby islands)?!

Contacts appreciated.....

Cris

No sorry Chris but keep your eyes peeled and you never know you may just bump into Norton

Well, after 4 days of asking around I finally found the only beekeeper on the island (which has a population of 2500)

Meet my new friend Pan!

More info to follow when I've packed my diving gear away and I'm back from inspecting my own hives........

:sifone:

We were in Greece Island hopping last year, Naxos is full of Beeks, although i wasn't really interested in it all then. its only a short ferry ride from paxos and a far nicer island.

Mark

Don't tell him he's got the same blue hives as the Turkish apiary in an earlier post!!

Actually, I'm rather taken with the idea of blue hives... very picturesque, and aren't bees supposed to have a high sensitivity to the colour blue?

Well done for locating a beekeeper anyway!

I have watched beekeepers at work on Thassos, which is famous for its honey. Typical apiaries on the hillsides have many dozens or even a hundred + hives. These are supered in summer without excluders. Leaf blowers are used to clear supers for harvest, and everything is spun -eggs, brood whatever if it's there. It's all filtered out later.
This is part of an apiary I passed last October.
P.S. The blue paint is the same stuff used for local fishing boats. Many hives also have coloured patterns to help prevent drifting.

Last edited:
Don't tell him he's got the same blue hives as the Turkish apiary in an earlier post!!

Actually, I'm rather taken with the idea of blue hives... very picturesque, and aren't bees supposed to have a high sensitivity to the colour blue?

Well done for locating a beekeeper anyway!
I read it wasn't the colour blue they don't like but the constituents of the blue dye used to colour certain materials for clothing.

Latest posts

Back