isopropyl alcohol

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IPA ? Indian Pale Ale - I've not seen that since the pits shut

i bought my surgical spirit (methylated spirit) over the counter at the pharmacy in my local supermarket A**a

HM's emulsified thymol mix uses 30g of thymol to just 5ml of IPA or surgical spirit.

HM is correct in saying that the thymol stays spread throughout the syrup and doesn't float to the top, no oily surface.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49691&postcount=44

The emulsified mix has the water and lecithin too :

30g thymol crystals placed in honey jar,add 5ml of isopropyl alcohol to the crystals,place jar into a water bath of boiling water to speed up the dissolving process.
In another jar pour in 140 ml of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon of lecithin granules

Non emulsified:
30g of thymol crystals dissolved in 150 of surgical spirit or isopropyl alcohol.

So they both contain the same amount of thymol per volume..

I managed to find some isopropyl alcohol today, so made Hivemakers recipe up which I feel is much better than the recipe on the back of the thymol tub. Telephoned around a few pharmacies, Lloyds said they could get it at £11 for 500ml; I then called an independent pharmacy who said they would sell me 100ml for £1.50. When I went to pick it up, a nice young Irish pharmacist said that as it was just out of date he could not sell it to me so let me have it for free after informing me it will last for years. Then Book-rs let me off £10 for two 25kg bags of sugar as they were split bags. So all in all a good day.

I managed to find some isopropyl alcohol today, so made Hivemakers recipe up which I feel is much better than the recipe on the back of the thymol tub. Telephoned around a few pharmacies, Lloyds said they could get it at £11 for 500ml; I then called an independent pharmacy who said they would sell me 100ml for £1.50. When I went to pick it up, a nice young Irish pharmacist said that as it was just out of date he could not sell it to me so let me have it for free after informing me it will last for years. Then Book-rs let me off £10 for two 25kg bags of sugar as they were split bags. So all in all a good day.

Result

Latest posts

Back