Is this usual?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
A few weeks ago I put a bait hive on top of my shed and waited but didnt expect much. Within a week a swarm had moved in. Moved the box away and put up another box. Two days later more bees. This time a small cast now doing well. Another box last Tuesday and yesterday more activity, looks likeanother lot moved in. So three swarms in three weeks. One very happy newby. Any one want to rent space on my shed roof:)

Sorry should have added that the boxes are old brood boxes(not used for many years)and baited with a bit of manky old comb and lemon grass oil. Entrance facing south.

A few weeks ago I put a bait hive on top of my shed and waited but didnt expect much. Within a week a swarm had moved in. Moved the box away and put up another box. Two days later more bees. This time a small cast now doing well. Another box last Tuesday and yesterday more activity, looks likeanother lot moved in. So three swarms in three weeks. One very happy newby. Any one want to rent space on my shed roof:)

Sorry should have added that the boxes are old brood boxes(not used for many years)and baited with a bit of manky old comb and lemon grass oil. Entrance facing south.

I assume you must have a ferral ,un-managed or badly managed colony close to you

You have the prime and caste two days later from the same hive from the first batch of QC which is common, the third is a QC made with the last eggs laid by the queen in your prime swarm just before she left

so well done, next year you might get the same, so put up two hive as there would be more than one caste issued from the first queen cells

Thanks I will put the box back up again as soon as I have rehoused this lot.

Maybe worth doing a quick Oxalic acid treatment for varroa while they are broodless.

maybe on the prime swarm , but on the castes the broodless break will cut it down to low levels and using oxalic on a virgin is not the best way to ensure she successfully mates, it is likley to be three weeks before she lays

, Kemble bees use a broodless break as a varroa control

Latest posts

Back