Is this theaft? Help!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi ya thanks for your help
He will not let me onto the land at all !
As he has changed the lock
My father owns the hives
We have nothing in writing from the land owner only verbal !
But I do have the message on Facebook messenger about staying away from his land etc !

Welcome to the forum Bee mad!

Make a couple of cardboard dummy hives as lookalikees for fathers.... remove your hives and leave the dummies in place... will be ages before he realises what has happened!
Do it at dusk and wear a disguise...... cover the cameras.... can lend you my stealth cammo beesuit!

Yeghes da

Make a couple of cardboard dummy hives as lookalikees for fathers.... . . . ... will be ages before he realises what has happened!

We need to collate the available data before acting;
  • Do you owe monies with regard to the purchase of the car?
  • Does anyone have proof of ownership of the hives?
  • Will the "New beekeeper" claim ownership of the colonies contained within your Fathers "abandoned" hives?
  • Can "unseen" access be gained without damage?
  • Do you have an alternative "HIDDEN / SECURE" site?

Think you have p!55ed on your own bonfire here?

Hi ya thanks for your help
He will not let me onto the land at all !
As he has changed the lock
My father owns the hives
We have nothing in writing from the land owner only verbal !
But I do have the message on Facebook messenger about staying away from his land etc !
Can you not get access to the hives from another direction or strap them up in the dark and get a friend to help you carry them to the motor, personally i would not be able to rest until i retrieved them even if it meant me going to court.

We need to collate the available data before acting;
  • Do you owe monies with regard to the purchase of the car?
  • Does anyone have proof of ownership of the hives?
  • Will the "New beekeeper" claim ownership of the colonies contained within your Fathers "abandoned" hives?
  • Can "unseen" access be gained without damage?
  • Do you have an alternative "HIDDEN / SECURE" site?

Think you have p!55ed on your own bonfire here?
Yes I owe monies for the car that was a pile of **** and kept breaking down
I think father has a receipt for them oridginally but may be old one !
Not sure about the new beekeeper even if there is one !
Not sure about access might have to squeeze through hedge ! Camera on front gate and possibly hidden ones as well, he did have probs with a neighbour!
Yes I have other sites they could go !
Thanks for your time

Unless you replace it with a new lock, then send the spare key (recorded delivery) to the said party with a note explaining that the lock has been replaced because the old one didn't work :cool:

Yes, that is a nice one.

Yes I owe monies for the car that was a pile of **** and kept breaking down

Then perhaps you should have resolved this problem first –-if only by starting formal proceedings against him to recover your money –-and then you wouldn't have the current issue with the bees.

Probably best left to get your old man to approach the landowner to demand access to his bees, as he is the legal owner.

Your "mate" may have inadvertently created an agricultural tenancy....

If you paid him a fee to place your bee hives there, he is committing a criminal offence in denying you access, just like if your landlord changed the locks on your house when you were out.

buy new lock and spare keys, cut off lock collect hives ,lock up with new lock, retain one key give them to owner of field tell him you broke the key in the lock so have replaced it and locked up so field is secure, then if he tell the police tell them you have access to the field for keeping bees on but have decided to move the some where else and show them the key, and say you was going to return the key once removed all your equipment. good luck

Even if the father no longer has paperwork, he may have an old credit card statement (or be able to show one online) proving he paid.

On Judge Judy shows (which are American) this situation comes up a lot - someone holding onto someone else's property until they are paid. Every time, it is explained to them that it is theft and they need to return it immediately, even if they are owed money.

BeeMad. As I see it, and you won't like this, you bought a car from a mate and it turned out to be a load of crap however you DID buy it and it was up to you to check the car over before accepting ownership of it -- caveat emptor. Therefore -- and I assume you did not pay for the vehicle in total when you took ownership -- you owe your mate the balance for the car and I'm afraid he has more of a case against you for not paying him for the car than you have against him for depriving you of the bees.

The only way this is going to be settled is for you to pay him the balance and take it on the chin whereupon I expect he will release the bees. If this doesn't happen then you will lose the bees, he will lose his money and for the rest of your lives you will both be bitter and twisted over the whole affair.

Whatever you decide I do hope it turns out well for you both.

Last edited:
I don't know if BeeMad has resolved the problem.

When you sell anything to someone "mate" or not... it should be fit for purpose?

I was "volunteered" to look over a recently purchased nuc of bees yesterday.... now in a nice new WRC hive.... on just three frames with no eggs little brood and hardly a drinsel of stores, and the sound of starvation about them... nice big yellow queen... fortunately I had a Paynes polly nuc and some 60% sugar solution in the truck... the new beekeeper had taken the empty nuc back.... and had not been given any advice whatsoever on how to look after them, but had it seemed " done a course"
Hapless colony now ensconced on the three frames with a fat dummy...Hope they make it.
I would advise any new beekeeper ( or new car owner) to take someone with a bit of expertise on the subject with them when looking at making a purchase.
However it seems we can all get caught out once in a while, and are just too polite to complain!

Nos da

Latest posts

Back