Is there hope?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig1961

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Looked in my hive situated at a mates house near Llandrindod wells today. Not many bees.... I found a few capped cells and 1... yes 1 lavae.... Coud it bee too cold yet for brood.... Maybe there is no queen and there is a drone laying worker...... I thought there would either no brood or loads... This is confusing..... Is there hope?

Did you see the queen? What do you mean by 'not many bees'? how many seams of bees roughly? How were they for stores? Did you see bees bringing pollen in? Its still very early, despite this unseasonal weather. If I was you I would think of the answers to the above questions and, if necessary, feed to stimulate egg laying. But mainly I would give them time

Eggs

Did you see any eggs?

Were the capped cells worker or drone?

Did not see queen. workers bringing pollen in. about 1500, 2000 bees. Not much in the way of stores. Feeding like mad on fondent. Fed all winter. Looked like worker brood...
Thank you all so far.

2000 bees would be better utilised in building up another colony - as long as they are healthy.

To get this one going, assuming there is a viable queen would need some extra bees or some emerging brood (probably repeated three or maybe four times, starting with a small amount and increasing as the colony can keep the brood warm. Depends on weather, too.

I would unite and get an earlier split later, I think. You need all the colony details to be able to make your decision. Too many unanswered questions and maybes at the moment.

RAB

Looked in my hive situated at a mates house near Llandrindod wells today. Not many bees.... Coud it bee too cold yet for brood.... ...

How much sun is the hive getting?

Micro-climate matters. If its in a cold damp shady corner or a frost pocket, it would be understandable if it was a bit late starting, especially if it were an uninsulated wooden hive ...

Latest posts

Back