Is it too late??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
So the end of my first full season, And wow what a learning curve!!
I have two colonies 1on a double brood and the other on 14x12. Now both colonies have varroa strips in but the 14x12 has had a significant reduction in the number of bees.
When I removed my supers they were packed in now it is half the size?? Have they swarmed??
There’s still brood present. Which is good..

I was also thinking of placing a brood box on to draw out so I can eventually change to a double brood standard size..
Thoughts please?

I’m worried that there aren’t enough bees to keep it warm over winter.. compared to how it was.. it’s such a big space..
The double brood is packed even bursting out..
the 14/12 very few bees on the front and 50% reduction in 2 weeks.

Last year I removed frames and inserted 50mm celotex in both sides..
Guess I’ll try it again..

When did you last treat your hive for varroa?

Beginning of the year…
Strips are in now. The double brood has very little dropage over 2 weeks.
The 14x12 had quite a bit around the 100 mark. Off to check again after 24hrs to recount the droppage.

I have one colony that always reduces to three frames. Every spring I think they will be dead, every summer I take loads of honey off! Don't panic or mess with them other than reducing water space.

Api strips are in, todays count was 12 so hoping that looks ok..
Think I’ll brace an oxalic acid treatment.

Yes it was my strongest colony filling 3 supers with bees every time.. they drawer comb and filled a super in 6 weeks.
I thought that was pretty quick..

Api strips are in, todays count was 12 so hoping that looks ok..
Think I’ll brace an oxalic acid treatment.

Yes it was my strongest colony filling 3 supers with bees every time.. they drawer comb and filled a super in 6 weeks.
I thought that was pretty quick..
A decent colony on a good flow will draw fill and cap a super in less than a week.

A decent colony on a good flow will draw fill and cap a super in less than a week.

Wow, I found it difficult for my first season, not enough supers at the start and chasing myself with frames etc.. They just kept growing..

I had a colony last year that I thought was doomed because the queen stopped laying in September and it declined to only a few frames. However, I put it in a poly nuc and was pleasantly surprised to see brood cappings on the monitoring board in the winter. It survived and got transferred back to a hive before too long in spring. If you know they are still queenright and haven't got specific signs of a disease, perhaps you could get a poly nuc to give yours a better chance than in a big hive?

I have the opposite in one hive. Hive is bursting with bees some of whom are still bringing in the last remains of Balsam.
Took super off and replace with varroa treatment. Will feed when treatment is over. Bees are foul tempered as hell so plan to avoid going near except for treatment and feed.

I have the opposite in one hive. Hive is bursting with bees some of whom are still bringing in the last remains of Balsam.
Took super off and replace with varroa treatment. Will feed when treatment is over. Bees are foul tempered as hell so plan to avoid going near except for treatment and feed.
Have they any stores in the brood box?

Latest posts

Back