insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'ved been using the sample same carpet samples (freebees) for years. These are normally 18x18, ideal for National. Once feeding is finished, 2 or 3 of these is enough. The crown board openings have a metal mesh covering (offcuts from varoa floor mesh ).
Bees on omf with restricted opening and vertical slot to stop mice.
Haven't had any issues apart from colonies not large enough going into winter or poor late queens.

I'ved been using the sample same carpet samples (freebees) for years. These are normally 18x18, ideal for National. Once feeding is finished, 2 or 3 of these is enough. The crown board openings have a metal mesh covering (offcuts from varoa floor mesh ).
Bees on omf with restricted opening and vertical slot to stop mice.
Haven't had any issues apart from colonies not large enough going into winter or poor late queens.

No particular problem with that - the carpet samples are likely quite air-tight - and the metal mesh will be propolised, provided you give the bees long enough to get the job done.

There is no reason why a 3-4mm gap cannot be left between box and floor, to provide sufficient ventilation when on solid floors. I’ve done it before now. BUT NO TOP VENTILATION SINCE MY FIRST SEASON. I am not a slow learner!

Latest posts

Back