Inspections and the weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bump3r67

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Bit of advice please.

Been trying to get into my hive over the last three weeks but the temperature has got above 12 degrees round here and the wind has been blowing a cool breeze to probably take it down a few more degrees.

Am I right to refrain from inspecting or should I risk chilling the brood in an attempt to prevent a swarm.

My thinking after reading lots is that if they were considering swarming during that warm spell in March they would have abandoned the attempt until better weather arrives. I did have a quick look yesterday without removing frames and there seems plenty of room although this didn't stop them buggering off last year.

Mentor suggests we should be looking this time of year even if not ideal conditions but this seems to go against what I have read.

Secondly, when I went to the hive yesterday there was a pile of bees underneath the hive on the slab. Half dead the other half not really doing a lot either. There was also around a hundred clustering off the underside of the mesh floor. Is it anything to worry about or just old bees seeing out their final days

Cheers

if you wait for the magic T-shirt weather you'll miss the boat and get into loads of probs. Many would suggest a first quick look on a warm day in late feb. from then on inspect in best weather you can - remember you are inspecting for a purpose every time, not just for fun. if it needs doing then it needs doing.

for example i had to do an AS over weekend and ended up transferring boxes into the greenhouse first!!!!

Judging by my little darlings, the weather has not in any way caused them to abandon swarming.
I would prefer to wait til 15c but have had to abandon this and had a look at 12c BUT out of the wind.
Don't wait til it's warmer, it may well be too late.
Cazza

Took the advice and checked last night. There was one capped queen cell and lots of others in the making. A couple with freshly laid eggs in.

Just before dinner I did my first AS which appears to have gone quite successfully. I've just been back up and they all seem to flying in the right direction.

Could anyone advise on the second part of my query or was what I supposed correct.

Cheers and thanks. Feel like I've achieved something new again today. But I feel like that every time I open them up.

:)

Bees clustering under the floor could mean they have tried to swarm the eggs you have seen could be up to 3 days old. Did you check the cluster?

Bit of advice please.

Been trying to get into my hive over the last three weeks but the temperature has got above 12 degrees round here and the wind has been blowing a cool breeze to probably take it down a few more degrees.

Am I right to refrain from inspecting or should I risk chilling the brood in an attempt to prevent a swarm.

My thinking after reading lots is that if they were considering swarming during that warm spell in March they would have abandoned the attempt until better weather arrives. I did have a quick look yesterday without removing frames and there seems plenty of room although this didn't stop them buggering off last year.

Mentor suggests we should be looking this time of year even if not ideal conditions but this seems to go against what I have read.

Secondly, when I went to the hive yesterday there was a pile of bees underneath the hive on the slab. Half dead the other half not really doing a lot either. There was also around a hundred clustering off the underside of the mesh floor. Is it anything to worry about or just old bees seeing out their final days

Cheers

Have you considered clipping the queen. If they swarm, they can't go anywhere and go back where they came from without the duff Q but with all the honey they stoked up with. Simples if you have the stomach fir it.

Had the same problem with clump of bees dead under the hive and the consensus was to put a landing board on the hive to prevent them from getting trapped under the hive on the mesh and not finding their way back through the entrance.

Don't think it was a swarm. Queen was there today to allow me to do the AS.

The bees under the hive just look really lethargic. I did clear the ones on the floor away but there were some more back there today.

Glad to be able to help - after all I am just passing on the help that I got bee-smillie

Well done les, you beat me to it. It is such a common problem in this weather.
E

"The bees under the hive just look really lethargic. I did clear the ones on the floor away but there were some more back there today."

i just scoop them all up in a dustpan and pour back into the hive!!!!

I got caught out by this weather with one of my hives. Waiting for the right weather was the wrong thing to do. Although they were not the best behaved bunch, they did collect a ton of honey. Now all I have is about 100 bees and a stunted QC. I've no idea when I'm going to be able to inspect my others. As I write this my window is being lashed by wind and rain, and am expecting a severe blow this afternoon ( the curse of sticking out into the southern North Sea). What a weird spring!

Last year I found a clump of Bees under the Hive.
As I went to move them I discovered a Queen (with wings clipped) amongst them.
She had left another Hive but only made it a few yards.
The Bees were what was left of the swarm

Latest posts

Back