Inspection temperature

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
London here.

On last inspections I had multiple swarm indicators and made actions. But now want to inspect again. Temps are in 10-12 deg C region where I am next couple o' three days. Seems 10 is minimum to come and 12 or 13 to others...

Between 11a and 3p recommended?

Rule of thumb is if you can be out in shirtsleeves then ok. The cooler it is the more bees will be at home and the grumpier they might be. Might not the time to take everything apart to find queen etc.

As long as your reasonably quick and don't leave frames with brood out in the cold without bees for too long you can do it. If it needs doing then it needs doing, just reassure yourself that you really need to go on. Think what you're looking for, look for that and close up as soon as you've done what needs doing.

Thanks for quick answer.

Clue was the swarm manipulation. Could be major work and disruption like moving boxes, and not just swapping frames. I am indeed concerned about defending in numbers because many are still at home.

I inspected at 10C and still air and sun.. Bees did not mind...Subject to doing it quickly/carefully etc..

But at 12C with a wind of 15-20mph it felt like 5C so did not bother.
And at 14C and sun but with a stiff breeze, bees got tetchy quite quickly.

London here.

On last inspections I had multiple swarm indicators and made actions. But now want to inspect again. Temps are in 10-12 deg C region where I am next couple o' three days. Seems 10 is minimum to come and 12 or 13 to others...

Between 11a and 3p recommended?

in south london and in a similar boat ... with a longer dated forecast looking colder still !

Last edited:
Do what you need to do, but without dawdling. I find that it's more important that it isn't windy.

People underestimate the effect that wind chill has. As in they don't think about it and it is not something to ignore.

PH

Devils advocate....what harm come to brood if it chills for a few minutes?

Worth remembering brood temp is maintained at 35C or thereabouts....even when 20C day temp that's a 15C drop in temperature for the brood.

Last edited:
how much energy does it take to increase the temp in the brood box by 15C if the start temp is 20C - does it take more energy to raise the temp back to 35C if the start temp is lower say just 14C. At what low temp are brood damaged? How long does it take for bees to clear one supers worth of dead brood, clean up the cells and for the queen to re-lay it?

I do know the length of a piece of string.

Less energy than if you inspect at 10C. But energy is all it is...they will require stores to get back to their equilibrium.
It is very difficult to damage brood with low temperature..which basically will only delay their development unless extended over several days. Basic insect biology.
As I said I'm playing devils advocate and challenging some widely held beliefs about inspection temps.

We can all repeat the mantras....

You can use top bar hive methods to minimise the disruption. Use Hessian sacking with a slot in it or in two pieces or a slab of Celotex to cover the box as you are inspecting. -Keeps the heat in, and the bees too.

There is a bloke here who has been beekeeping for about 73 years, and he told me (in Tas ) that it's the heat that kills 'em rather than the cold. I find I have to open up in spring to do the swarm mitigation stuff when it is way cooler than recommended in our mainland states.

Definitely not going to inspect today. It's snowing :xmas-smiley-010:

Devils advocate....what harm come to brood if it chills for a few minutes?

Worth remembering brood temp is maintained at 35C or thereabouts....even when 20C day temp that's a 15C drop in temperature for the brood.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221478531731218X

The temperature drop of the frame of beeswax comb would be minimal due to the high heat holding capacity of the beeswax the comb is drawn from..... and in which the brood is nestling!

Bet Derek M could explain in simple terms if the cited article is difficult to comprehend!!!

Yeghes da

[
The temperature drop of the frame of beeswax comb would be minimal due to the high heat holding capacity of the beeswax the comb is drawn from..... and in which the brood is nestling!

My point exactly.
Well spotted.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221478531731218X

Bet Derek M could explain in simple terms if the cited article is difficult to comprehend!!!

Yeghes da

Hmm. "Objective of this study is to analyse potential of beeswax as thermal storage material and its application for low-temperature thermal storage."
Are there deleterious effects to thermal shock ?

Latest posts

Back