Inspecting at this time of year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visit an apiary and touch the rooves of hives with insulation and the ones with no insulation its quite noticeable the ones with and the ones without.

It was late
probaly should have stayed in a nuc but was in a smaller hive which holds 9 frames
No insterlation
small amount of stores only (could have been more, and was toped up from another hive)
Also noticed on a late inspection that the queen looked lame
We are in Cambridgeshire

what i would have done different is,
made sure that they had full stores
maybe by adding them from another hive
and insterlate if possible
or keep in a nuc
have lernt a lot over the year and will do lots different in the future
I hope the others will make it they do seem to look good
looking forward to first inspection
but will wait

They were fed over winter but did not take much

15° yesterday so had a quick check as I was concerned they were filling the brood box with fondant. Lots of space on the couple of frames I lifted so no problem there. No sign of eggs or larvae, but I only checked the frames on the outside to minimise disturbance.
Hopefully more activity in the centre.

He
I have the same as Grizzly but I am in no hurry to lift the top off...to take a look.........heat is heat..........and we've had frost the last 2 nights......although 10 degrees during the day.......impatience is a common quality.........wot's the rush Doc..???

roy

agree , i was told only do your first inspect after the clocks go forward i.e when it is British Summer Time, so that this year is 27th March

Latest posts

Back