Inside or outside the hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, under a crown board.

But my crown boards have a central hole which is normally covered. Easier to whip off a layer of gaffer tape than change the whole board.

If there is a rapid feeder on then that is INSIDE the hive but the super enclosing it is OUTSIDE

If I purchased a hive I would expect a roof to be in the box, If I was feeding they would occupy the roof space like they would use the floor and entrance, granted it is splitting hairs and would generally consider the roof space outside the hive unless you have a hive with no roof

I get earwigs now and again - always on top of crown board. They don't seem to cause any harm. So can I assume a wasp could get in if earwigs can? They're about same body size but earwigs probably more slender. Got me thinking though (although touch wood not had any wasp problems in last couple of years). Will go and look at my roofs more closely

I enjoy the earwigs - enjoy watching them develop. Sometimes see them 'albino' when they have just moulted. I'm not sure that they will enjoy the impending MAQS, though.

Why would MAQs affect earwigs above the crownboard? Are you supposed to be treating the roof space?

I thought it was for killing varroa inside the hive?

Little wonder that apiguard and maqs are perhaps not as effective as they should be, or perhaps less predictable in their effect! We can already guess that a lot do not isolate their hive interiors from the outside sufficiently for apiguard to work at its optimum. Don't the instructions indicate solid/closed floor and smallish entrance (in the singular - so no other entry or exit point)?

RAB

Surely anything within the surrounds of the exterior is inside.

Well as @Hivemaker. reminds us, Br Adam said: "Let the bees tell you".

I am sure we have all put comb under the roof and over a feeding board (is a feeding board a crown board?) for cleaning, to hear the bees say "OOH! A loft extension!"

Last edited:
If I purchased a hive I would expect a roof to be in the box,

only the delivery box or carton! I expect the roof to go over the hive body, whether above brood or supers, but always there to keep off the rain from the crownboard which is less weather resistant and also to afford a degree of insulation from either extremes of temperature. You do not actually need to buy a pukka roof with the rest of the hive parts, as any old board could be improvised to give shade and shed water, leaving only the insulation concept to be unattended to for the winter months.

I make roofs from insulation board. Takes 5 minutes to cut all the pieces and 10 minutes to assemble a nice cottage style roof..less for a flat one. Paint it.. and it is ready insulated and costs peanuts using recycled board.

Wood's too good for a roof:)

If I purchased a hive I would expect a roof to be in the box,

only the delivery box or carton! I expect the roof to go over the hive body, whether above brood or supers, but always there to keep off the rain from the crownboard which is less weather resistant and also to afford a degree of insulation from either extremes of temperature. You do not actually need to buy a pukka roof with the rest of the hive parts, as any old board could be improvised to give shade and shed water, leaving only the insulation concept to be unattended to for the winter months.

Yep..

I have a hive in garden without a roof as we think of a hive roof.....Bit of ply which has some Kingspan stuck to it was handy when I needed a roof. Plenty of overhang so rain doesnt dip down onto the hive.

I am sure we have all put comb under the roof and over a feeding board (is a feeding board a crown board?) for cleaning, to hear the bees say "OOH! A loft extension!"

No

unless you haven't given them enough room under the crown board

Back