Inherited Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattK

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I have just taken on an allotment which has 6 bee hives on it which were left by the previous tenant. I know that the bees have not been looked at for at least 18 months, possibly as much as two and a half years. From flying activity it looks as though they all have active bees in them.

I have no experience of bee keeping but I'd like to try to take it up and look afer them.

From what I've read, it seems that it's getting late to open and inspect the hives so I'm considering leaving them untouched for the winter and trying to find a local expert to inspect them in the spring and go from there. I'm hoping that as no honey has been taken, that they'll have enough food for the winter.

One exception to the leaving alone plan is that a leg of one of the hives has rotted and the hive is leaning over so I will need to add some support to stop it collapsing.

I'd be interested in thoughts about whether this is the correct approach or especially if I should be doing anything more urgently at this point.

Thanks in anticipation,
Matt

Welcome to the forum Mattk :)
I'm a newbie, so can't offer much advice - but if you can narrow down your location a bit? Do you know what type of hives they are? Perhaps post a photo if you don't know.
It will enable the more experienced on the forum to help you more.

Hi
Where do you live
It may be that theres a local club or beekeepr in your area with enough time on his hands to look aftert them or even take them off your hands.

they will need to be checked first in case they have any illness disease or varroa mite as someone with bees of there own wont want to infest there bees with anything that could be wrong with yours. They are probally Ok but the do need checking.

I am sure that someone will only be to willing to take them off your hands if you are not interested in keeping them.

Contact your local club if you can find one.

I am sure someone will bee along soon.

yes prop the dodgy hive up but do this later in the evening when they are all in bed.

OP said he'd like to take up beekeeping and look after them himself
:)

Lucky thing! A very nice inheritance.

Stabilise the wonky hive and maybe weatherproof for winter - even some roofing membrane and bricks would be helpful if a hive is damaged in some way.
Get a smock & veil (absolute minimum) before touching the hives. Local beeks (via association) probably only too ready to help, including lending kit while you discover what you need. You will need some spare/replacement kit ... ;)

// While a bit of natural selection over winter might be no bad thing (6 colonies is a lot to start with), about the only thing I'd suggest doing would be some varroa treatment - on the assumption that they have the mites (probable) and if untended for a couple of years there is a high probability that the problem (if there) would be reaching critical levels.
Difficulty is that most treatments involve you getting into the hive - and being used in warm weather ...
My suggestion (and beekeepers being beekeepers, there will be others) would be to poke a small tray of VarroaGard (product name is spelled that way) inside the entrance of each hive, and leave them to it.

Last edited:
Hi again. I'm in Bucks. Just to confirm, I would like to keep and look after the bees. It's something I'm interested in and whilst I wasn't planning on it just yet, this opportunity is too good to give up!

I do intend contacting someone local, but I didn't think there was any point at this time of year - am I wrong?

Thanks

Hi again. I'm in Bucks. Just to confirm, I would like to keep and look after the bees. It's something I'm interested in and whilst I wasn't planning on it just yet, this opportunity is too good to give up!

I do intend contacting someone local, but I didn't think there was any point at this time of year - am I wrong?

Thanks

it's not too late to do a varroa treatment and top up any hives that are light with sugar syrup, so it might still be worth getting in touch with the local association to see if anybody would come out and take a look? :)

... I'm in Bucks ...

Thanks

Plenty on here from those parts. Suggest updating your location to town level, at least for now.

Varroa treatment ASAP definitely has a point.
Feeding maybe. Maybe better to let the winter carry away the weakest stock (unable to support even themselves), freeing up some kit. Just don't want to lose the lot!

Might be worth asking for help under the Mentorship heading on this forum -
Home - Beekeeping Education - Mentorship Offered/Wanted

Definitely contact your local association. If they advise doing nothing until spring, apart from shoring up the dodgy leg, then all well and good. They may advise you to get some varroa treatment on and help you do it. If the bees have been left to their own devices, for getting on for two years, their varroa load is probably very significant and could hinder them making it through the winter. They will also need treating for varroa in December/January with oxalic acid so definitely a good idea to get involved with your local association/find a mentor. Good luck with your bees, I'm sure you won't regret taking them on.

To the OP, I think your first thoughts were the right thoughts. Apart from levelling the one wonky hive, leave them all be until spring. You now have 6 months to decide what you want to do. As they seem to have done fine being left on their own for so long, I would not be rushing to open them up.

if I should be doing anything more urgently at this point.
First thing is to check which hives are active. On a warm(ish) afternoon are there honey bees coming in and out? If there are, next priority is to check they are healthy enough to survive winter, which means enough stores and no obvious signs of disease.

Best bet is to look for a local beekeeper, one within a few miles who can call round to assess what you have. You might need to be a little more specific about where you are to get an offer from here. Otherwise try your local beekeeping association, most have an online contact page you can search for. In Bucks local branches are Chalfonts Beekeepers' Society, High Wycombe & District, Mid Bucks and North Bucks or it's always possible one just over the border is more convenient. Many run beginners courses over winter or early spring. buckscountybeekeepers dot co.uk might be a place to start.

Now would be a good time to get in touch with local assoc and start making contacts for the spring, you'll need help with 6 hives :eek:

Worth looking at doing a course as well, now is the time they start being organised, and they can fil quickly

I'm going to add my vote to the majority-

1) Find your local association- if you haven't done it before, you really want someone on hand when you open up.

2) buy or borrow a suit, veil and gloves

3) get some varroa treatment on- now is the time, and since about 1980, it's one of the most important things you can do. But time is pressing, so unless someone on here can lend a hand, I suggest a degree of urgency for item 1).

Oh, and congratulations! :)

I belong to the Mid Bucks BKA and they have an active winter programe and a beginners course that starts in Feb - but they do get booked up. Meetings held in Wendover and the association apiary in Stoke Mandeville

As a starter this year I can highly recommend

http://www.mbbka.org.uk/

... - if you haven't done it before, you really want someone on hand when you open up.

Oh yes, opening neglected hives is rather more tricky than opening one that had a proper go-through last week! Not the best place to start!
There is likely to be an excess of sticky propolis and brace comb (wax in the 'wrong' places). And who knows what the condition of the frames might be.
Since those frames (and their comb and stores) are going to have to see them through winter, my inclination would be to leave the mess well alone until after the winter!
For complete clarity, I really wouldn't want to be opening up a ratty hive in mid-winter for an Oxalic Acid syrup-trickling treatment.

However, as we have chorused, varroa treatment is a priority.
Hence my earlier suggestion of a treatment that can be applied *without* opening the hives, and which claims to be usable at any time of the year. VarroaGard can be put in at the hive entrance, and that could be done by a beginner, at twilight, with little fuss, even on 6 hives, and right now.
Oxalic Acid vapourisation in December might be an alternate (or complimentary) without-opening varroa treatment -- BUT -- it would need to be done by an experienced beek, with all the kit for doing it. It is NOT something for a beginner to contemplate on his own!

One other worthwhile job to do soon - fit mouseguards! Cheap insurance against a colony-threatening pest.

From the hives' survival unprotected, it doesn't sound as though there is a Green Woodpecker problem in the locality. But weatherproofing the hives with Tyvek roofing felt should also deter that Winter pest.

Apart from taking photos so we can see, I'd just like to add I've envious!

Shocking they've been left so long - I assume they've caused no issues on the site that you know of (yet).

Find some bricks or blocks for propping up the dodgy one (freecycle is your friend here) . If you wait til it's raining you should have no problem doing near to make minor adjustments.

Matt,

I wish you luck and agree with the above posts. Get in touch with some expert help.

I keep bees on an allotment plot.

Just one point. The line of "inheritance" was not clear. How long is it since the previous owner gave up the plot ( not when he last looked at the bees), and how soon after did you take on the plot?

Mine is a council owned site, and a rule is if you leave sheds etc on a plot, then the incoming plot holder negotiates direct with the outgoing as to whether any money changing hands is expected. Yours may well be totally different.

The BBKA website has a leaflet about ownership of "abandoned hives"

http://www.bb ka.org.uk/files/library/abandoned__hives-l016_1342857768.pdf - remove the space in bbka, but I think you need to be a member to access that area.

A more computer literate member of this forum may be able to attach the pdf file to their post

Firstly join association and do the winter courses :). Get an experrienced beekeeper to open hives, assess disease, treat and feed. Make hives stable and weather proof. Hives that haven't been looked at for years will need an experrienced hand with a long hive tool. I repeat the latter, long hive tool. This initial inspection is for experienced hands to do and you to view. Come spring they are yours with a new mentor ;)

Latest posts

Back