Inflight battle with drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the sneak

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
A couple of weeks ago, I was near my hive and I was hit by two bees joined together, which then flew off.
After observing the hive for some time I could see quite a few drones returning the hive and some being ejected immediately and other let inside. Then some drones would be driven out of the hive with workers hanging off (due to having bitten the drones legs). Even when the drones flew off, they carried the workers with them. This happened several times.

Now I have seen ejections of drones before (the bitten wings and pile of bodies outside the hive entrance) but just never seen quite this level of hostility before.
I guess its normal for this time of year?
cheers

Hi the sneak,
The drones being let in are the hives own drones the others are from elsewhere. Have you got a virgin or a newly mated queen in there?

Well, I've never heard of that. You learn something every day.
I thought drones had free entry to any hive?
I've found drones in mine that have been marked somewhere.

Well, I've never heard of that. You learn something every day.
I thought drones had free entry to any hive?
I've found drones in mine that have been marked somewhere.

Sorry, should have added this time of the year when they usually want rid. Otherwise it is a quote from a bee inspector no less. In case anyone else is thinking of challenging this newbie's wisdom!

I have one hive still with plenty of drones and two queens I am confident the new queen is mated as I took a peek yesterday and she is looking good.

The bees do allow drones from other hives to enter as I often have a few Italian drones in my hives despite having no Italian bees and this hive that is superseding to my observation gave refuge to ejected drones from other hives and a sensible move if thats the case.

Thanks for the comments.
I think there could be a new queen in their because I cannot find my marked queen and after much searching on a cold day so I gave up. I will search again this weekend. This is what happens when you go on holiday for a few weeks.

Interesting though because when the first worker-drone coupling nearly hit me at first I thought it was a hornet and then questioned whether it was a queen-drone mating pair (until i saw a couple more of them).

thanks again, will update if anything else of interest...

Thanks for the comments.
I think there could be a new queen in their because I cannot find my marked queen and after much searching on a cold day so I gave up. I will search again this weekend.

Don't need to see the queen - just eggs. Queen more easily found, marked and clipped in spring before major buildup when there will be fewer bees to comb through?

I bet a red light blinked on at GCHQ when you posted this!
Expect a knock on the door any time soon.

Latest posts

Back