Indian Runner Ducks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Duff

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none
Does anyone know of a good source of information and advice on keeping and breeding Indian Runner Ducks as i am considering keeping some on our allotments?

Very easy to keep. and lovely birds.

If you fancy hatching your own i can supply some fertile eggs (and even arrange loan of an incubator!).

just PM me with any questions.

Runner x Muscovy Hinnies (mules) are also lovely birds and don't have the problem of you get overrun with offspring!

As Drstitson says, very easy to keep. If you want to breed them make sure you have more females than male, IME ducks are WAY too randy for their own good and the females tend to get badly pestered.

"ducks are WAY too randy for their own good and the females tend to get badly pestered."

:iagree:

Hence our flock of Hinnies!!!! (charlie having his way with the muscovy girls)

Runners not such a problem but gang rape by muscovies can lead to injured females that need nursing back to health.

Last edited:
You don't know the half of it. You should see the OH being followed around at feeding time by dozens (?hundreds) of ducks, chickens and turkeys.

You don't know the half of it. You should see the OH being followed around at feeding time by dozens (?hundreds) of ducks, chickens and turkeys.

I bet thats a sight lol.

I do find chickens to be more 'pleasant' to keep than ducks (cleaner, dont eat as much, not quite as brutal during mating) although the duck eggs (and ducks for that matter;)) taste much better and they are comical to have around:rolleyes:

Very easy to keep. and lovely birds.

If you fancy hatching your own i can supply some fertile eggs (and even arrange loan of an incubator!).

just PM me with any questions.

Runner x Muscovy Hinnies (mules) are also lovely birds and don't have the problem of you get overrun with offspring!

That's brilliant,cheers.
We run a self managed allotment site and the local council had written to the former management informing them that "The keeping of hens, ducks and rabbits was not permitted on allotments in our borough" . This tuned out to be a complete pile of manure. We re-apply for self managed status next month and once this goes through it will be chucks, ducks and bunnies on site.

:party:

Practical poultry have a forum that's always good for info

runner ducks

ive three ducks and one drake all runners and i bought them from jpsducks as hatching eggs. Guy was really helpfull and the ducks are brilliant. Its their first year this year. They are pretty messy and make a bit of a racket at times. Mine are in a large area with some chickens and get along fine - if i can help let me know

Latest posts

Back