Incubator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made a honey warming cabinet couple of years ago from an old fridge and an STC1000 controller. It works well with its 60w bulb and I hope to add a fan this year to eliminate hot spots. The temp control seems very accurate.

You've already guessed where this question is heading....

Could it be used as a incubator for queen cells? (I've no experience of incubating queen cells at all, but it's something I'd like to try this year.)

Thanks

I've done it in an egg incubator around 32 degrees. Should work if you have humidity and temp right. Good fun. seem to be larger Queens as well.

No I hadn't and can't see why I should have!

Why not? Might be the question. These controllers are able to work from -50 to +100 Celsius? A fridge is simply a confined and insulated space. I can easily control my wine fermentations at 18C.

So I can see no reason why it should not control at around whatever temperature you require. Am I missing something simple here? Doubt you need the fridge side of things, that's all.

I use one for an incubator with a small fan and 2 small 25w cooker or fridge bulbs.

I made a honey warming cabinet couple of years ago from an old fridge and an STC1000 controller. It works well with its 60w bulb and I hope to add a fan this year to eliminate hot spots. The temp control seems very accurate.

Could it be used as a incubator for queen cells? (I've no experience of incubating queen cells at all, but it's something I'd like to try this year.)

Thanks

I'd not rely on a 60w bulb. Far better to use a tubular heater or similar both from a reliability and a safety aspect. Use of the fan will be a worthwhile development.

I'd not rely on a 60w bulb. Far better to use a tubular heater or similar both from a reliability and a safety aspect. Use of the fan will be a worthwhile development.

I have hatched quails , turkey and queens with a 20W bulb (sprayed red) inside a small container ..

Thanks for all the replies. I had no experience of any kind of incubator so sound like I could give it a go.

Last edited:
Humidity is critical as are cages.....

One young lady gets loose over night and bye bye all your work.

PH

Latest posts

Back