IN hive mating.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This is from a topic on Facebook.
They are talking about queens getting mated in their hives.

Don't need literature. . . . Other friends who had queens born without wings have been mated.. and I have accidently clipped a Virgin as got it wrong with a hive I was doing and left her to sort in a week eg the next inspection and she was laying, so left her and she was laying normal! There are lots of things we don't know about them, got hive at home that has very large queen with 10frames of brood, and in the first super is eggs in drone comb, and queen cells that are charged, so dispels the myth of bees not being able to move eggs. Far too many things we don't know about them! 󾇡

You'd think if it occurred there would be no un mated queens turning into drone layers.

Lots of observer bias in beekeeping
e.g. what is most likely becomes "always" and anything else becomes "never"
what rarely happens becomes "often".

All I can say because you are dealing with a super organism its ... complicated
a group behaviour that is an aglommeration of many individual behaviours so it becomes a statistical phenomenon rather than simple causality. The term I would us in physics is stochastic... or you might say
"bees do nothing invariably", just some things are unlikely

I know a forum guy, who has two worlds. This world and the sleep world. Sleep world is more interesting because he has sex there.

I know a forum guy, who has two worlds. This world and the sleep world. Sleep world is more interesting because he has sex there.

Relax old chap, I agree with much of what you say especially your comments on the instant experts. The comment was intended as a compliment.

Answer to headline is simple. There would not be unmated queens in hives, if indoors mating is possible.

This is from a topic on Facebook.
They are talking about queens getting mated in their hives.

Don't need literature. . . . Other friends who had queens born without wings have been mated.. and I have accidently clipped a Virgin as got it wrong with a hive I was doing and left her to sort in a week eg the next inspection and she was laying, so left her and she was laying normal! There are lots of things we don't know about them, got hive at home that has very large queen with 10frames of brood, and in the first super is eggs in drone comb, and queen cells that are charged, so dispels the myth of bees not being able to move eggs. Far too many things we don't know about them! 󾇡

You'd think if it occurred there would be no un mated queens turning into drone layers.

Sorry but the source is not renowned for its reliability :(

I SIMPLE QUESTION SO PLEASE DONT ATTACK ME.

Would a virgin queen and some workers with some drones (50-75?) picked off the frames of a selected colony, mate in a closed hive?

Or is flight an essential requirement for the mating?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back