In at the deep end

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Hello all, I have been reading with great interest the last couple of weeks some very informative posts, I'm new to beekeeping and was thrown in at the deep end last year when I let my brother keep one of his hives in my back garden.
He moved it in early may as he was giving up his allotment and in early june it swarmed, his own fault really, was just too busy at work and new they were getting short of space, anyway I got the call from my other half telling me the sky had gone black with bees, luckily they landed in a bush about 7 feet of the ground in the neighbours garden. Unlucky for me my brother was at work and wasn't due back any time soon, it was left up to me to catch the swarm.
I had caught a swarm with him before, well held the ladder for him, so I knew the basics, I put on his suit primed the smoker and set about up the ladder, I was a bit nervous to say the least but knew what I had to do.
I was up the ladder with a box in one hand and some secaturs ? in the other trying to cut the branch the swarm was on, it took a bit of doing but eventually with some struggling I managed it.

That was my introduction to beekeeping we housed the swarm but lost it again not long after but aquired another one in some empty supers he was storing in my mothers garden, so we have 2 colonys to start the new season with plans to increase to 4.

I will be a regular reader but will probs not have much input as I have no real experience I would like to say however I see alot of disagreements in how things should be done or how people do things differently, keep it up though, I find it very informative, thankyou.

I would like to say however I see alot of disagreements in how things should be done or how people do things differently, keep it up though, I find it very informative, thankyou.

3 beekeepers will give you at least 4 opinions on any topic- it's such a complex subject there will very rarely be one right answer, and what counts as right will depend on a lot of factors. That's why it's so good to have a range of opinions.

welcome to the forum SimonF

remember location also plays a part, what is right for my bees in north London/Hertfordshire in February will be too early for your Bees in Tyne & Wear

Last edited:
Welcome simonF from another newbie /beginner.

I loved your story because my start has been completely different - have wanted to do this for years. Never seen a swarm despite being a country girl with a garden where we had chickens (and aged 3 they tried to stop me seeing the one running round with no head in case it tramatised me)- we fattened pigs we later ate for Xmas, hatched loads of chicks and also from about 3 yrs old, I was used to wandering in a cold store amongst the carcasses my great grandfather had in his butchers shop.

I got my first bees towards the end of last season having done a weekend course in june, found a wonderful mentor, joined two local BKA's and read a lot. I don't think I have thanked this forum for the huge input to my understanding and awe of the topic. A good mentor is great - but I can't pester him all the time so being able to put even the dumb, silly questions here and get a prompt response has been a boon. More than that, directing us to the core information or good suppliers and events and then giving us a sense of the tradition and the obscure - the woods apidictor and the bee boles being recent examples means this forum has become my online bee oracle. As a pensioner, money is tight so the economical tips have saved me loads and given me a perspective of where I need to spend money (eg professional labels) or where to save (sensible priced quality equipment etc) have been invaluable. I realise that I haven't said a public thank you whereas you started with one. I did make a small financial contribution as I realised how important this forum has become but a warm thank you to all who have imparted knowledge or tolerated a newbie on a steep learning curve.
Tricia

Come on Skyhook - play fair 4 beekeepers usually give you at least 9 options!!! It is great fun though - and you will be surprised simonf how quickly you pick up the basics. Enjoy the forum!! Hopefully meet you in the pub when chats are in operation...The Beekeepers Arms aka...the Chatroom!

I will be a regular reader but will probs not have much input as I have no real experience I would like to say however I see alot of disagreements in how things should be done or how people do things differently, keep it up though, I find it very informative, thankyou.

simonf,

Don't worry about your inexperience!!! Some of the most prolific posters on here are "newbees"...

It may be advisable for you to join your local association.

Ben P

Latest posts

Back