If it looks like a flow...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working away 'up north' this week on a nice lovely new windy miller site (hate the bloody things) and travelled through Glos where there were fields and fields of OSR looking very yellow.
Will be having a good look at my site that is close to OSR when I get back home this weekend and will be taking supers with me.
S

I know I'm a bit lower down than you but dandelion pollen is coming in in the bucket loads

no dandelions here as yet

Willow out here..

Noticed the odd willow opening a few days ago - today there are loads in full bloom and believe me there is a lot around here. quite a bit around Caerbryn as well, also the first of the Victoria plum flowers opened this afternoon - working at the top of the garden this evening and can smell the nectar from the apiary. beter put a couple or three supers on each I think..............not! :D

and there is a flower in the hedgerows that I cannot identify;

pale lilac flower now growing in abundance in hedgerows and on grassy banks around here is Cuckoo flower Cardamine pratensis
giving lots of yellow pollen, dont know if there is also nectar

Had a wander round the far paddock this afternoon. Some of the blackthorn in the hedges is flowering and the rest isn't far behind. The willow on next doors set aside is imminent and the grass field over the dyke which was carpeted with dandelion last year is showing an odd yellow head here and there. It's going to be hectic shortly.

Just went down to the apiary to listen - they are in full 'air con' mode and there is a lovely apiary smell. From the smell, I would guess willow is the culprit.

I'm another listener - I went up for a listen this evening and they were clearly audible several feet away. Yesterday I noted there was an abundance of yellow pollen coming in, and the hedges here are full of blackthorn which is humming with honeybees and other insects. I also note far more ladybirds than I usually see at this time of year, anyone else found this?

I'm another listener - I went up for a listen this evening and they were clearly audible several feet away. Yesterday I noted there was an abundance of yellow pollen coming in, and the hedges here are full of blackthorn which is humming with honeybees and other insects. I also note far more ladybirds than I usually see at this time of year, anyone else found this?

Yes: lots of ladybirds here - the British type not foreign imports.

Also lots of early butterflies.
And frogspawn. Late but lots..

Blackbirds and woodpigeon nesting in garden.
Regular daily visit by Mr and Mrs Pheasant..

Lots of willow pollen...Blackthorn not out yet.

It's seems I have cardiff parks dept to thank for the huge array of willow, cherry blossom and sycamore trees right on my doorstep. I have lived here for 20 years and never noticed which trees were on view outside my window. I now walk through the park looking to see which plants the bees are on.

Obee

Does anyone know the name of the roadside bushes in the West Country that are blooming with a yellow / mustard colour flower? I see these gorse type bushes everywhere, but I don't know the name.

Up in Scotland my bees are very busy, warm today so will do a full inspection. Prepared a super in case it's needed. Going to open the entrance, so much congestion.

Does anyone know the name of the roadside bushes in the West Country that are blooming with a yellow / mustard colour flower? I see these gorse type bushes everywhere, but I don't know the name.

Is it Broom? Lots here but not in flower yet its a little early.

For me the dandelions are the sign that spring has properly started. They seem to hold on for that first spell of decent warm weather.

Plum, (Victoria), finished about 2 weeks ago here, dandelions springing in droves now. Blackthorn showing rapidly and will very soon be capping the hedges all around. I wouldn't be surprised if blossoms pile up on one another as the plants that have blossomed later than normal will be joined by others at their "normal" flowering time.

Horse chestnut flower buds seen yesterday. It's nice being in balmy S Wales!

Victoria plum and apple here only started flowering two days ago, and the green opposite me that is always full of dandelions, not a single flower yet.
It's been quite pleasant here but spring still seems slow to start.

On the train journey back from london yesterday, I was passing fields of yellow. OSR coming along now.

On the train journey back from london yesterday, I was passing fields of yellow. OSR coming along now.

Apples, plums and pears not out here.

Lots and lots of willows.. and lots and lots of big bumble queens.. far more than last year...

Plums gone, pears started, but no apple yet!

Last edited:
Victoria started flowering a couple of days ago, damson will be flowering in a few days - no sign on the greengage or the dark plum, just the odd bud on two of the apple trees

Latest posts

Back