Icing sugar instead of smoke????

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi to all fellow bee keepers.
Does anyone have any experience in using icing sugar instead of smoke when working with there bees? I have heard that it is supposed to be just as or even more effective as the bees are too busy grooming to bother you.
Any info on this would be great. Also where can you get a machine to blow icing sugar as your working on the bees?
Many thanks all

I don't use it generally instead of smoke, I do use it so they groom.

There is a video here somewhere of a woman using it, but she puts it through a fine mesh, and brushes it over the frames.

I do use a fine water spray sometimes, my bees don't like smoke.

There was a recent BBC feature on a gardening presenter who wanted bees and installed a topbar. The 'expert' who introduced the bees used icing not smoke and had some sort of clockwork icing blower I recall. Not much help, but shows it is used by some and there must be a blower commercially available. Keep looking and when you find it post a link!

I tend to use a water sprayer, but always have the smoker lit, just in case :D

I'm reading David Aston's book 'Keeping healthy honey bees' and he lists the use of icing sugar as a method of varroa reduction (part of an integrated system) when used from May to August.

There was a recent BBC feature on a gardening presenter who wanted bees and installed a topbar. The 'expert' who introduced the bees used icing not smoke and had some sort of clockwork icing blower I recall. Not much help, but shows it is used by some and there must be a blower commercially available. Keep looking and when you find it post a link!

You could always ask him on his forum :leaving: :leaving:

Was it this one with Carol Klein?

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8485

Yep, nice one MA, thats the one I was thinking of. Phil Chandler yer man (looking at the text below the vid)

Unless he has changed his methods Phil C uses icing sugar as a varroa control and a water spray with a drop of cider vinegar in the water for inspections.

Icing sugar really needs to be used very frequently, like at every inspection, if it is to work but even then I would not rely on it alone.

RT in the video clip I am thinking of he was installing the bees for the celeb gardener and was definately using the sugar as a calmer, I think he said as much.

I am happy with pre-emptive smoke but also use a light spray of 1:1 if they are still getting abit feisty mid inspection. Cant see that icing sugar would have as immediate (or as a directional an impact) as a spray?

But lets remember this thread asked where to get an applicator not whether we thought it was any good!

Applicator - could you not just use a turkey baster. Fill the bung up with icing sugar? foof foof lol so to speak/type

The whole sugar system is stupid. Why you plan it? It makes no sence.

New ideas - jee, I know.

Sounds like another English eccenticity to me....icing sugar all over the place.........may be some use in promoting the grooming instinct but can t see it working as a calmer.....

the most usual reason to use smoke is to push back the bees, that they will be not squezed between boxes when I lift them onto another. It is not calming.

If you try this make sure you grind up your own icing sugar, do not use the supermarket stuff! Use a jam jar with small holes to sprinkle it on!
louise

excellent tip with the jam jar louiseww. i'll try this, sounds like a good tip. Many thanks.

Use a jam jar with small holes to sprinkle it on!
louise

or try something like: [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Dredger-Shaker-Handle/dp/B001THT8BU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298052679&sr=1-1[/ame]

Latest posts

Back