I think I may be Queenless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadcrab

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've got a brood and a half that I got earlier this month, having looked at them today, I note that I don't appear to have any eggs, no brood other than one or two large brood about to be capped, however there appears to be capped brood and capped drone. I had some queen cells that I removed on the last inspection and no queen cells now other than a play cup that is empty. I can't see the queen and all the evidence (no young brood and no eggs) points to the fact she has gone. What should I do next? I don't know whether it is relevant but the bees seem to be relatively agressive with a number of them stinging the bellows on my smoker!

Last edited:
Getting a queen might be the next thing to do.

Check again and this time do not remove all queen cells, if there are any. If none you likely need to obtain a new queen from elsewhwere.

What I would guess is that your queen had swarmed or been killed and the queen cells were a bit of a clue to that. Sadly if you removed them all and you have no more eggs and only one hive then they are doomed! If you ever see queen cells again then you must consider why and what you are going to do about them. That means having a plan for artificially swarming your hive.
Now you only have two options if what you say is correct, buy in a queen or beg a frame of eggs from another hive.
However..... It is very easy to believe that your hive is queenless when in fact it is not. Queens do go off lay so you just may be lucky. The facts do not point to that though so I think you should be looking for a frame of eggs. This is where two hives is better than one!
Let us know what you eventually do!
E

I've got another hive next to the possible queenless hive, this is small and I'm feeding it and I know that I've got a laying queen in that hive as I have eggs brood and capped brood, should I take one of those frames with eggs?

If it were me I would combine both hives at this point and then split just after the main flow. The queen will benefit from a larger workforce and lay more at her peak period (now) otherwise you largest hive may have to wait a month to see the first eggs (+risks) by which time its the end of July and she'll be slowing down.

Good luck.

Do not combine at this point. Do the test frame first. Most likely your colony is hopelessly queenless, but better to check before losing your other queen in a disastrous unite.

As with RAB.... You may think it is queenless but if just by chance it isn't......
A frame of with some eggs in would be best at this time.E

If the queen had swarmed or been otherwise lost and you have cut out all the queen cells, don't get too down about it, it's a brilliant learning opportunity - pretty much guaranteed you won't do it again! and at least you have the means to remedy the situation - it could be worse.

just gone and swapped a frame from one hive to the other I'll check them in a week and see how things are.

Checked the Bees this morning. All the original frames are either half empty or full of honey/nectar no brood or eggs. The frame I placed in the hive with eggs now has brood (expected) stores (expected) and what appear to be some eggs! If the hive has a queen why is she only laying on the new frame? I have also got a number of queen cells started.

Weelll, if you put in a frame of open brood a week ago, there should be capped queen cells by now, not 'just started' if there were no queen.

If you have a queen laying, they are about to supercede her if there are queen cells. Are any of these queen cells capped? Any with larvae in 'them', even?

Maybe that frame is more attractive than any of the others.

You have a few days to sort them out; looking in only once a week makes me think this probleem is not of great priority.

What sort of queen cells, open/closed, charged, sealed, supercedure, emergency ?
read this;
http://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/There-Are-Queen-Cells-In-My-Hive-WBKA-WAG.pdf

Judging by the number of new beekeepers in trouble with Queen/Queencells for lack of understanding perhaps this should be a PROMINENT sticky?
One of the first things I did in the workshop this year is to set up a spare hive for artificially swarming EACH hive either on the stand or in the shed at the apiary and, believe me, I have had to use every one plus some.

None of the cells are capped and the queen cells appear to be supersedure cells from having read the link from REDWOOD. there does not appear to be any larva as yet in the cells however there is royal jelly in some of the cells.

Beware
I baileyed two of my colonies this year so they had lovely fresh dandelion wax combs...yummy!!!!
ALL the swarm cells were on the face of the comb and were very well buried, some with just the tips showing!!!!
Have you a beekeeper friend who can have a look for you?

I'll get someone from the association to come and have a look.

the bees told you something was happening but you didn't hear it.
Queen cells aren't made for fun.
if you ever see queen cells you need to look and listen.
I have done it myself in panic and ruined a hive. killed all the queen cells in panic and found old queen dead in hive. saved em though but not the point i didn't listen.

give them a frame with eggs from you're other hive.note the date.
4 days later go in and look. look for Queen cells. make sure you have at least 1 with a decent larvae in and loads of food. milky lookin stuff. remove any sealed queen cells at 4 days .
10 to 12 days after some say pick the best cell and remove the others. Some say leave two.
your choice.

If they don't draw any queen cells from the frame with eggs then you missed some info out.

Back